I'm missing some teeth.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave-

The gear is 1.300 od with 24 teeth.

The wall thickness of the hub in the first picture is .060.

The distance from the bore to the root of the teeth in the third picture is .040.

-Bob

DSCN0328.JPG

DSCN0329.JPG

DSCN0330.JPG

DSCN0331.JPG

I just want to thank everyone for all of the help with this.

It was not my intent when I started this thread to come up with a fix; that's why I posted it in the break room. It was more like a joke, hence the title "I'm missing some teeth." I played too hard and as a result I lost some teeth :big:. I probably should have put it in Mistakes Blunders and Boo Boos. (Especially since it was my suggestion to have that section *bang*.)

It just shows what a great bunch of people we have here on the "fringe". "Regular" people would have been like "Oh that sucks. Too bad for you." The "fringe" approach is more like the Six Million Dollar Man..."We can [rebuid] it. We can make it stronger...." Thm:

-Bob

I have been told that a lathe is the only machine that can build itself... It is becoming increasingly true with our heirloom machinery.
alan

Hey Bob,

Is there a bushing that sits in the middle of that gear? Or is there just that one bronze bushing?

Could the bronze bushing come all the way out to the face of the gear?

I see a bushing on the countershaft in the second photo, does it belong with the assembly and it just fell apart?

It would appear from the picture that you have 24 teeth

OD = N+2 / DP. Rearranging, we have DP = N+2/OD = 26/1.300 = 20

We would need to measure the pressure angle.

I don't have a cutter for this size.

Victor Machinery sells them for $56.

RDG tool has them for $33 plus shipping from the UK....probably another $10 for a total of $43

Good thing with these is I have an 1" arbor for my VN that size.

I suppose a fly cutter could be made also. We're only cutting bronze.

Others may have better prices....mind the bore diameter.

Dave

Dave-

It has two bushings. One that is still in it, and one that is sitting on the spindle in the second photo. The one still on the spindle sits in the bore of the gear. One would have been pressed in from the pulley side and the other from the gear side with a gap in between them where the oiler is.

-Bob

Omnimill said:
We call it Mazak over here although some folks call it "monkey metal" :D

Vic.

In my workshop it gets honoury membership in the 5xxx series Alloys - we call it "5h1t - metal" ::)

Bez

90LX_Notch said:
I just want to thank everyone for all of the help with this.

It was not my intent when I started this thread to come up with a fix; that's why I posted it in the break room. It was more like a joke, hence the title "I'm missing some teeth." I played too hard and as a result I lost some teeth :big:. I probably should have put it in Mistakes Blunders and Boo Boos. (Especially since it was my suggestion to have that section *bang*.)

It just shows what a great bunch of people we have here on the "fringe". "Regular" people would have been like "Oh that sucks. Too bad for you." The "fringe" approach is more like the Six Million Dollar Man..."We can [rebuid] it. We can make it stronger...." Thm:

-Bob

More like the 1.2 million dollar man....I think my Southbend is closer to 12 mil! :big:

Dave

Actually better still

Found a piece of 1 1/2 " OD by .74 ID x about 3" long bronze in the lucky box....got a cutter?

Dave

Latest posts

Back