IC Engine Spark Plug; what is required?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novian

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is required to set up the spark plug systems in model IC engines? how do you get the timing for the sparks, and where does the electricity come from to create the spark. Can you buy miniture spark plugs to use, can you use full sized automotive plugs from the Big Box stores (such as Canadian Tire), or do you have to make your own? I've seen some on this site that looked homemade (not that they looked bad or anything, just that they didnt look like automotive plugs) and i was wondering how hard it would be to make some.

Any guidence would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian, a lot of members make their own sparkplugs. The main trouble is finding material suitable for the body of the plug. I have an abundance of Corian that i used for nuts and saddles when i was making accoustic guitars. It machines well, polishes well and has good electric insulation properties. I am just about to make a sparkplug from this material for a hit n miss. Will keep u posted

i hate to say search the board . I do not recall all the threads but all the questions you ask have been discussed and answered here before. there are step by step builds on spark plugs and info on Ic ignition systems. most ic engine ignitionsrunn off battery.
Tin

Hi Ian,
Attached is a PDF drawing to make your own spark plug. As Tin Falcon stated there is a wealth of information that has been posted you just need to do a search.
NGK makes a small spark plug, CM-6, which can be used in some of the bigger engines and Rimfire makes the smaller ones, 1/4-32 etc.
Jerrry Howell and S&S make ignition units, some complete and some as build it yourself.
The timing can be from a set of small automotive points, Chrysler made some, or home made points. The other option is what's called a Hall transistor. It's a magnetic trigger.
The power comes from batteries, NimH AA size or small 6 volt sealed batteries.
gbritnell

View attachment 4 CYL OHV SHT N.pdf

Ya, sorry about that. What would be cool would be to have a wiki for this site so that we can submit and organize the wealth of info on this site in a more consolidated form.

Latest posts

Back