I wish I had room for this lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n4zou

Reaction score
http://gadsden.craigslist.org/tld/2986816656.html
It's just too big for my shop.

It's a Clausing 6900 series lathe. The hydraulic speed control on these lathes give people fits that don't understand how they operate. I bet it's seen very little use over the years. Someone could practically steal it for $1,000 USD. It looks like a 6913 or perhaps a 6914. After a few days of sitting the hydraulic speed control system collects a little air which must be removed. All you do is start it and hold the speed control at maximum until all the air is vented out and the speed control stabilises. Air in the hydraulic system causes the speed control to move to the minimum speed setting, which prevents venting air from the system. Usually the Machinist will turn the lathe on and find it refuses to maintain speed and so goes off and finds another lathe to use, thinking the speed control is broken. When I worked for McDermott Ship Yard in Morgan City, LA the shop had one of these lathes. I was the only one in the shop that could make it work. That was my first "real" job as a Machinist. I was fresh out of trade school and a new employee and there were more Machinists than there were machines to run in the shop. I hated operating a hand grinder and noticed no one ever ran the Clausing 6913 lathe. I asked the shop supervisor if I could use it instead of the grinder. He said sure, if I could fix it. The trade school had a 6913 so I knew how to "fix" it. After a few days one of the older Machinist knocked me off that 6913 and back to the hand grinder. The next Monday rolled around and the Machinist that knocked me off that 6913 discovered it was broken again and rolled someone else off a machine. I went back my 6913 and "fixed" it again. I never did reveal how to make that 6913 work after a weekend of non-use.
5I65H85J43Gf3Lf3H6c4t3e7b410ff9a016ba.jpg

Latest posts

Back