I need rotary table help!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyknife

Reaction score
Ok....so I thought I knew what I was doing, till I set up my chunk of metal to cut. It became obvious after scratching my head for two hours that I do not.

Here is the scenario. I want to shape my flywheel post for my elbow engine. Its a piece of aluminum thats 3.518" tall by 3.475" wide. I want to whittle off the top edges like so.

Flywheel%252520post.JPG

The 2.063 is the height of the holes for the cylinder and air holes, which definately is not in the center.

I thought it was going to simple, throw chunk of metal on rotary table rotate the desired degrees and cut front to back. Till I realized that when I indexed my .738 and rotated the table, that I wasn't indexed anymore. Grrr...

Maybe I am making this too complicated....I made a reference circle but I'm not sure if that helping me or not...I'm starting to feel incredibly confused.

Flywheel%252520post%252520revision%2525202.JPG

How do I get this thing indexed so that I can get my angles cut right on both sides?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Eric

Eric,
When you set your block on the rotary table, indicate one edge of it till it's parallel with the x or y axis. Now set your reference pointer to some even number on your table. Now rotate to the desired angle adding that number to your reference number and you're good to go.
gbritnell

rustyknife said:
Till I realized that when I indexed my .738 and rotated the table, that I wasn't indexed anymore. Grrr...

At the risk of stating the obvious .738 is a linear dimension - that's got nothing to do with the rotab - the angle is 63.12°

Depending on which face you are starting from (clocked up as per Gerorge's post) you would rotate either 63.12° or 26.88°

Ken

Latest posts

Back