I miss my Shop!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickDastardly40

Reaction score
I've been working away from home now for nigh on 6 months and there's lot's that I'm missing.

OK I DO miss my Partner, my Son, my Cats, my Bed and having my own car, but today I really miss my shop.

It started with an loaded innocent enquiry from the Chef about some ideas he had for building a mechanical spit for roasting a pig or a lamb. I told him it wasn't necessarily as easy as he thought but I'd done it before with a wiper motor, some bicycle parts and an oil drum.

Next thing i know he's found an old scrapped van, most of a dead mountain bike and a drum, could i please help him?

So I've now got a wiper motor, which I harvested from the van with a 5 speed cluster on the spindle mounted on the plate, a pole, 2 halves of a drum and a support stand made from scrap with wheels on top to act as rollers for the pole.

I now want to drill and tap into the hex end of an M20 bolt to fit a M12 so I can mount the crank on the pole with the bolt going through the square hole on the crank. The M20 bolt threads into the pole.

How did I get talked into this? A 5 minute job and I have to go cap in hand into the shipyard and ask for somebody to do it for me as I'm not covered to use their machinery. I miss my shop!

I'll post some pics if I get it finished when some crackling is imminent.

In situations like this I usually remind myself that it is just a season in life. Of course when I don't.... ;)

My wife and I were talking about how the newer grills don't seem to last as long as the ones from even 10 years ago. I have been thinking of what it would take to make one that would last and look as good as a store bought.

OK Crackling isn't imminent but proof of concept and seems reliable enough if not especially elegant.

Compound gearing to get the rotational speed down from the wiper motor minimum at 12V to about 6RPM.

DSCF2233.jpg

Latest posts

Back