I always wanted to build a steam engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGus1942

Reaction score
I have had an ambition to make a steam engine ever since I saw one made by a friend of my father when I was just a kid. It has taken me 72 years to build up a workshop capable of doing the job. I bought plans from Ebay last year and finally got started. Unfortunately I had to have a couple of stays in hospital which upset my progress but made me determined to make my engine before I fell apart. The good news is that I completed the engine just before Christmas and I have been given the all clear health wise. The engine was not built strictly to the plans as my lathe was too small for some of the parts. Much to my surprise the engine runs well at about 10lbs pressure using air. I added the generator house after my mother said it was nice but didn't do anything. It is basically a gear box to up the revs to drive a 3v motor as a dynamo to light a LED light in the lamp post. Thanks to all the good machinists who have given advice on this site that I have found very helpful. Hope you think my effort worthy.

dsc-2743.jpg

dsc-2745.jpg

dsc-2744.jpg

dsc-2746.jpg

Back