Hypocycloidal Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RobWilson

Hi after a few days deliberation and looking through plans i have decided to build an Epicyclic Steam Engine designed by Bill Reichart.
So far i have just about finishes solid modeling the engine an all seam well, as i go along i will be adding some touches of my own and have fiddled with a few things in the design already , cant help myself. I hope to make a start on the build in the next few days.
Rob

Capture...JPG

Front.JPG

Hey Rob,
Love to see that build! I bought those plans a few years back. It's on my build list........someday I'll get to build the stuff I got plans for!! Go for it!
Tony

cobra428 said:
Hey Rob,
Love to see that build! I bought those plans a few years back. It's on my build list........someday I'll get to build the stuff I got plans for!! Go for it!
Tony
Hi Tony i no what you mean, i think i have enough engine plans for two life times there are too many great engines to build,i still have my Rider Ericsson to finish
Rob

That looks like a great engine. There is a very similar engine which is displayed at my local club, but it's called a "hypercycloidal" engine. Has exactly the same crank mechanism... Hypercycloidal sounds better IMO.

Good luck with the build!

Jones said:
That looks like a great engine. There is a very similar engine which is displayed at my local club, but it's called a "hypercycloidal" engine. Has exactly the same crank mechanism... Hypercycloidal sounds better IMO.

Good luck with the build!
Hi Andrew i recon Hypercycloidal sounds better too and i will change the name,cheers for the info Marv;D
Rob

Rob,
Very nice! Now, give up the secret....How did you do those outside radii in the corners ???
Rotary table?
Tony

Hi Tony , no secret, CNC ,getting rid off the radius corners so i had square corners took the time.

Rob,
You dog you :big: NO CNC ALLOWED th_rulze stickpoke
Tony

cobra428 said:
NO CNC ALLOWED th_rulze

Please provide chapter, paragraph, and section number of the offended rule. ;D

For that matter...please direct me to the tome of rules so that I may educate myself. I certainly don't want to break any rule of this very august group. :big:

Zee,
If we let Rob get away with CNC the next thing you know he will be engraving his initials in fancy script and all kinds of fancy "Victorian" stuff on the engine. Being a fellow hand machinist I thought you'd have my back and help me make up some rules Rof}
Tony

Okay Rob.... you can use the CNC, but you gotta to keep your eyes closed...(grin). This is an engine design that is steadily rising on my build list. Looks like your project is going to be a "must watch" here.

Steve

cobra428 said:
Zee,
If we let Rob get away with CNC the next thing you know he will be engraving his initials in fancy script and all kinds of fancy "Victorian" stuff on the engine. Being a fellow hand machinist I thought you'd have my back and help me make up some rules Rof}
Tony

Ah...yes yes...you're absolutely right. Apologies.

Rule x: When making 'period' pieces one should be limited to 'period' tools. :)

Rule x + 1: Only 'social' rules really matter.

Rule x + 2: Don't listen to 'Zee'.

Rule x + 3: Did I mention 'don't listen to 'Zee'?

Rule x + 4: Thread detours okay. Thread re-routes not okay.

Love this forum. :big:

While typing this I see that 'Cedge' advocates breaking 'x'. Shame shame shame.

Hypocycloidal, not hypercycloidal.

Sheesh, what am I going to do with you guys?

epi - outer, outside (think epidermis = outer skin)
hypo - inner, inside, under, beneath (think hypodermic = under the skin)
hyper - excessive (as in hyperactive or hypertension)

Rob, I bet you are the man who could answer this.

I haven't been able to find any written reference that answers. The oldtime original alloy called Brass and the one called Bronze. Was it strictly adding tin to make Brass and Zinc if you wanted Bronze?

Rob,

Your doing a great job...regardless of what Marv says....Sorry Marv interesting points made. Hoist one for yourself.

Regards

Philly

Cheers Philly :)
Kermit said:
Rob, I bet you are the man who could answer this.

I haven't been able to find any written reference that answers. The oldtime original alloy called Brass and the one called Bronze. Was it strictly adding tin to make Brass and Zinc if you wanted Bronze?
Very close Kermit you just have it the other way round, copper + tin = bronze , copper + zinc = brass
Cheers Rob

It's an old feeling I haven't had in such a long time.

feeling like a kid in school afraid to ask questions because I even get those wrong... :p

:bow:

Back