Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus, when I rounded the tops of my rocker arm supports for the V4, I turned up some buttons to the correct OD to suit and used them as a guide when filing the rads. Made it very easy, and impossible to go too far.

Your head assemblies are coming on great.

Paul.

Day 26 pm
Did a bit manual fitting,with dummy rocker arm bearings put in. Valves now easliy actuated with RA.Bearings from ArcEuro has yet to arrive for final fit up. Socket head fasteners are used temporary till split pins arrive.
The Clavises(clevi??) need to be reworked to eliminated the obstruction.Jerry Howell's dimensions/ctr distance etc are not to be messed with. Deviate too much and you get messed up.
Starting work on the Carbs seems as planned for next week. Some custom tooling required to grind good jet needles. Holders and jigs required to hold mini grinder. Or perhaps DIY a mini Tool Post Grinder with Sewing Machine Motor.
Its week-end fishing again and weather is fine and water pristine .

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus
I have been head down trying to finish the paper work for my engine so I have missed your progress,
you really are getting a shift on it all looks A OK to me .
I have just put my boat in the water after antifouling so now I wait for the good weather that has been lacking so far.
Keep up the good work, Brian

Reactions: gus
Day 27------30 .
The Humble Rocker Arm/Clevis Pivot Pins

As usual I did not pay to much attention turning out pivot pins which I imagine would be easy meat to tackle. Of the first batch of ten,I had seven rejects(see small dish) which were too tight/sloppy/short/long etc. Had to come up with a rout sheet,step by step/beginning to end to turn pins.
Building a turret/capstan to turn 12 pins not viable. With the QCTP,steel rule,caliper and slide dials finally got 14 good pins done. DRO would have greatly helped too.

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

Last edited:
Day 30

The Rocker Arm Tappet Bearings arrived today from ArcEuro UK.
The pivot pins were good fitting. Rocker Arms,Clevis and Bearings finally fitted on. Rocker Arms worked smoothly w/o obstructions.Mini Bearing were too small and Country of Origin not checked.Not surprising,its not M.I.C.aka Made in China.Could also be Made In Singapore by NMB aka Nippon Miniature Bearing,Singapore.

IMG_3312.jpg

Last edited:
Day 31
Carb Body

I barely scraped thru Technical Drawing in Singapore Polytechnic 50 years ago. Till today I have problem with first angle or whatever angle projection. With this handicap,it took me a long while to figure out the Carb Body.

Cut two blanks.
Skimming off to length/width/height is fastest done with 4 jaw chuck.Would take a while longer on the mill.

Broke a Japanese SKC M2 Hand Tap but fortunately was clean break and easily removed.Was so used to machine tap and gone quite stupid with hand taps. One semi-finished Carb Body done with fuel passage to drill next week.
Was simpler than I thought.The two entire Carb sub-assembly with take a week or so to complete. No hurry best to do it right the first time.Too many small delicate parts to make.

Its weekend fishing again.:)

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

Last edited:
Carb Body

Demise of the very first V-2 Carb,it went to the scrap bin. The Spray Bar clashed with the Throttle Barrel.
So careful read centre distance measurment three time, measured and checked two time and yet I goofed.
After a good day fishing,my mind was relaxed and alert and error found. :confused::hDe::rant:
Here's my Red Snapper on loan for foto shots.:)

IMG_3328.jpg

Gus,
Be extra careful with the carbs. They're pretty complicated, and you need to make the second one as a mirror image of the first. Jerry only gives you drawing detail on the first. - Terry

Gus,
Be extra careful with the carbs. They're pretty complicated, and you need to make the second one as a mirror image of the first. Jerry only gives you drawing detail on the first. - Terry

Hi Terry.

Thanks.

The drawing was tough to follow. Did a hand sketch isometric to get a good idea. Will take time to cut the first piece followed by the mirror image piece.
Thought I did a good job but discovered the 1/4 hole for spray bar collide with the the 5/16 throttle hole. I have a good reason to make the small tough pieces now and not rush after main engine completion.

I have a good reason to make the small tough pieces now and not rush after main engine completion.

Well put Gus. I think I'll follow your example and get the carb, spark plugs and maybe even the radiator done before I get too far into the main engine build of my Peewee. I often suffer from rushing the last bits and always seem to leave the most difficult or fiddly bits til the end.

Hopefully next Tuesday I'll be able to get back into my shop and start building again.

CARB BODY

Good News.
While marking/scribing the second carb blank and confirm Spray Bar not clashing with Throttle Barrel,found first potential scrap Carb OK. No Clash. :)
Must have been cross-eye when I checked on Saturday 11th.;D:hDe:
Will go on to make Carb Flange. Another simple jpb piece to make it look good.

[BDay 32-----35[/B]
Carb Body

At long last two good carb bodies and and I got it right left carb and right carb. Scrapped two carbs. These will make good fishing sinkers. Looking a the carbs now which are not too complicated but some I goofed reading the carb drawing and messed up two carbs. After the first carb, I got a better idea of how carb looked like and where/how did I goofed.

IMG_3346.jpg

Hi Gus,
You're making great progress even with the fishing breaks in between. Here in the States we use what's know as third angle projection. Being that Jerry's drawings were done here that is the drawing format that they're in. In other parts of the world they use first angle projection. Here's how you read third angle projection. Lay your right hand flat on the table and call it the top view. Now rotate your hand so that your thumb stays on the table and your small finger rotates up (counterclockwise). This would be the right side view. For the front view rotate your wrist up leaving the tips of your fingers on the table.
I know it can be confusing. A lot of English and German drawings that I worked with were first angle and I had to be careful until I go used to them.
gbritnell

Hi Gus,
You're making great progress even with the fishing breaks in between. Here in the States we use what's know as third angle projection. Being that Jerry's drawings were done here that is the drawing format that they're in. In other parts of the world they use first angle projection. Here's how you read third angle projection. Lay your right hand flat on the table and call it the top view. Now rotate your hand so that your thumb stays on the table and your small finger rotates up (counterclockwise). This would be the right side view. For the front view rotate your wrist up leaving the tips of your fingers on the table.
I know it can be confusing. A lot of English and German drawings that I worked with were first angle and I had to be careful until I go used to them.
gbritnell

Thanks for the tip.
At last,I have the mirror image Carb done. Will machine all the carb parts to complete the Two Carb Sub-Assemblies and air intake filters. Quite a big pile of parts required on the Outer-Heads. The Throttle Levers and Linkage Rod and clevis. The Breather Sub-Assembly. I really admire Jerry Howell's ingenuous skill in designing all his engines. His specified dimensions are not to be messed with. Gus is still very much a beginner in engine building.
Thanks for the support. Hopefully one of these days we get to meet at some model engine shows in US and talk shop.

Day 36 and 37
Carb Body
The last carb bodies posted have unforgivable errors. Omitted the Idling fuel passage and there is no space left to drill same passage.
Made another two new piece and all turned out to be as per drawing.
1/4'' Reamer served as a mandrel to turn 3/8 O.D. male connection. Loctite hardened and locked on safely in just 15 mins.
To prevent goofing on left hand and right carb body,I did a complete marking/scribing carb.
Terry was right ,we have to be very careful with the machining of the carbs to avoid having to make 1/2 dozen before arriving at two good carbs.

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

Day 38
Spray Bars

Not a very productive day in terms of work done and job pcs count. Took up entire morning to centre pop,drill and tap 4 M2 holes and two spray bars. One spray bar had a broken 0.030'' drill. Jerry Howell specified using 0.020''. Carb tuning will be a bit rough. Have yet to pick up the Black Art of drilling 0.20'' and below orifice holes.:hDe:
Broke one M2 ''SKC'' Japan hand tap.Total count of broken M2 Hand Tap --------3 pcs for this engine job. Found two expensive ''Linc'' Japan Spiral Point Machine Tap and finished all 4 M2 holes using 1.7 mm drill tap.

Very unproductive day but I kind of enjoyed doing such intricate job pcs.:)
Been a tap and drill breaking day!!!:wall:

Time passed so fast and its weekend fiiiissshhhing again. ;)

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

Just picked up on this thread and haven't read it all but wanted to put my thoughts in.
My last build was Jerry's V twin and I truly enjoyed it. It pushed my skill levels to the limits but the prints were excellent.
I struggle with cutting gears since I haven't figured out how to accurately center my fixtures on the rotary table. I cheated and bought pinion wire for the two main gear sizes. I know its cheating but I wanted it to run, which it does very well.
Had a struggle getting the valve timing right but finally got it.

Your work looks great (better than mine) have fun.

Hogan

Latest posts

Back