Howdy from Afghanistan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon173

Reaction score
So I guess it's protocol for all of the new guys to introduce themselves here huh?
Well I'm 26 and raised in Northern California. I joined the army at 19 as a diesel mechanic to get the heck out of there, and as fate would have it, all I can think about is getting out this summer and going back there to spend the rest of my life in the redwoods. There is no place like it! Not that I regret joining. I spent 3 years with the 173rd Airborne in Italy, 2 years in Okinawa, Japan, and am currently with 2nd ID out of Fort Lewis, WA. and made some of the most awesome friends a guy could have! I'm in love with scuba diving and have plans in the works to build a small 2 man submarine. Not a model, but a real one. Everybody thinks I'm crazy but I'll show them! My wife seems to be the only one who hasn't came out and said it, but I know she's thought it! I've almost got everything I need to start the build once I get back from afghanistan! That's where I stumbled onto this hobby was doing some research on a snorkel (I decided against it). I've spent the last several months reading about machining practices and tooling and special equipment ect. I got to thinking about how awesome it would be to build a miniature drag racer so I'm hoping to start building small IC engines while I'm at stand-stills with the sub in hopes of one day being able to build a 454. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, no son of mine is going to have a plain jane go-cart! He needs a go cart with some attitude! haha. If that proves to be too tricky, I'd like to take a stab at a mini humvee also. I'm not sure why I like miniature stuff so much, but I do. I jump out of planes and go swimming with sharks, but I drive a chevy aveo:cool: and absolutely love that little wheeled egg! Well that's about all I can think of. I'll be home in a few weeks and I'll be in Fort Lewis until May or June if any of you veteran machinists in that area want to give me a few crash courses...hint hint haha. If not, I'm sure I'll be posting some projects soon as I have two months of leave built up ;D.

Welcome Wagon173. Sounds like you have one of the three things needed to make model engines. And it's the most important....motivation.

Good luck in the rest of your military career and thanks for your personal sacrifices.

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome and a big THANK YOU for your Service. I'm sure you will get all the help you need.

Ron

Welcome to the forum . I too am a veteran of sorts never made it to the sand boxes of the mid east. 24 years New Jersey national guard mostly air guard .
went to aircraft sheet metal school as well as machining welding.
sorry wrong coast for tutoring.
I recommend downloading and reading the Army machine tool manual TC 9-524 and the Navy repairman's manual.
Tin

Welcome to the party bro’. Navy here, steamed to Saudi and then Iran- back when the Shah was our S.O.B. lap poodle. Be safe and keep your sh*t wired tight as we used to say back in the day. :hDe:

Welcome from nearby Singapore. Take good care.

I have been around the world while working for a US Company making heavy equipment.

Phil, I have a lathe also and a fair amount of structural metal fabrication equipment, so I guess two for three ain't bad :p I've been looking for a mill. I found a really nice one on cl for 750 but that thing has to weigh 3 thousand pounds. I have no idea where I'd put it as my new house doesn't have a garage. So my metal working tools will stay in storage and I'm going to make a small workshop in the spare bedroom with the lathe and various hand tools. I'll try getting a milling attachment and see where that gets me for now. Tin, I'd say you're a full blown vet, man! 24 years is a lot of nonsense to put up with! Honestly, I think it's easier in the desert; there are less rules and people tell you what needs to be done and leave you alone to do it. I seriously lack the self control needed to be in garrison for extended periods of time. I'd be a career private, that's for sure! I've already downloaded the army and navy manuals from your (at least I think it was you) beginners read this post. I haven't gotten a chance to read them yet but hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be able to knock it out. I also watched the MIT videos. Those were really good! Thanks for the info! Gus, you lucky son of a gun! Do you dive at all? I'd kill to spend a week or two in Singapore! So far I've gotten to splash all over Okinawa, a few places in Hawaii, all over the puget sound (that cold water took some serious getting used to) and a couple places in California. Thank you all for your welcoming! I look forward to gracing your forum with photos of an ER room and a "How Not To" manual :p Guess that EMT qualification will finally pay off :eek:
-Brandon

And welcome from down under. Look forward to following your projects.

Hi Brandon

Welcome from the U.K. and do post " the how not to's " just as important as the successes. We all make mistakes, lots of 'em in this hobby it's the nature of the beast. the art is not to keep making the same one. Which means learning from experience both your own and that of others.

Regards Mark

I do understand you frustration with the rules.Seems like every year more were added. And in some ways the guard was easier and sometimes harder. I was only there one weekend a month and two weeks straight. but sometime it felt like you had to do a months worth of stuff in two days, all annual requirements had to be met. training stuff, medical stuff, OJT requirements... But I would still be doing it if I could. After being in for all that time they decided I have asthma and was booted on a 4f classification.
But I get a monthly check from my DOD civilian slot so it is all good and when I turn 60 i will get my military retirement.And I was active duty for a year and a half for operation Noble eagle after 9 -11. And I got to see parts of the world that I probably would not have seen otherwise. Two weeks at Hickam AFB near Honolulu HI and two weeks in England.

Yes I Am the one that started the getting started in Model engineering thread . I am glad to hear folks are reading it and using the resources there.
Be safe in you duties and with the hobby stuff.

Read the safety section follow the rules and there is no reason to get any injuries more than what a band aid will take care of . remember in a few years out of the military have your Doc update your Tentanus shots.

By the grace of God and following sound safety practices I have never had a serious work related injury or any serious equipment damage. Yes my share of scares and a few bone headed moments. and I have always been a hands on guy no office jobs.
as they say at DuPont Zero ((incidents) is the goal.

Tin

Welcome Brendon! stay safe till you are back home again.
Stew.

Latest posts

Back