How to mill a bowl pocket

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milotrain

Reaction score
I have a project where I need to mill a bowl into a plate of aluminum. I needs to have a diameter of 3". I have a mill and a boring head and I was thinking of grinding a tool with an arc of 3". Any ideas on how I could do this better?

Bowl.png

BowlBlock.png

I guess a 3" ball nose mill would be out of the question? :D

If it can be done, I am sure Marv has written a program to make it easier. This would probably be a good project for a Volstro, perhaps why they still seem to sell for a pretty penny.

If your lathe will swing it on a face plate, a Bedair type ball turner would get you the profile. I would think twice about trying to make a cut with a surface contact as wide as you need with a profile tool and then I would do it some other way. I can't imagine that you could do that without enormous chatter.

Jerry

Mount the work vertical on a Rotab, a boring cutter, at 90° at 1.5"R. Or rotab horz. if its a BP tilt the head XX° (much math required) with a boring head set at 2" radius. I'm looking for the calulations now.

Looking at the drawing again, what you have is a (negative) segment of a sphere, what is the arc radius to be of the bowl, much more than 1.5' as the material is 1" thick with a large hole in the bottom.
To do that the head of the machine would be tilted, and the stock hor. on a rotab. Of course a CNC machine would be the easiest.

No rotary table, no lathe :-[

For now I think I might just do it in steps with a boring bar but it's going to take some time. :eek:

M.C. Escher - call home!

http://www.supertoolinc.com/pop_product_details.asp?id=28603

I'm not sure the link works like it should. It shows a 3 inch diameter 18 tooth milling cutter - 1/4 thick, side cutting with one inch arbor hole.

The three inch diameter would mean(after removing most of the area with conventional methods) you could make repeated cuts and keep rotating the work piece until you have gone a full 180 degrees. You'd still have some sandpapering work to do to remove the ridges it leaves.

Since you are doing this on a lathe.....

I presume you have a matching (male) part - of find a 3" ball from a ball valve or bearing.

First bore a cone from corner to corner.

Then work out (do the trig.) a series of stepped cylinders in small increments.

Using a radius cutter (radius not really important - say 1/4 to 1/2") remove all the corners of the steps.

Finally "blue" in the ball - remove the high points with the cutter and when you start to get resonable contact go to emery paper.

Of course if its aesthetic rather than functional you won't need to finesse it too much.

Ken

Ken, He ha sno lathe

I think your best bet is the boring head and work out the co-ordinates to cut the curve in steps with a rounded cutter, if you had a rotary tabel it would be easy using the arc function on a DRO but you will have to do teh X feed manually with the cutter rotating not the work

J

That'll teach me to read the post more carefully before putting my mouth in gear.

You could still do it as a series of cylinders using a boring head - each time you set the diameter down - take a cut - measure and then work out the depth it need to go to - repeat ad nausem - a right PITA but doable.

then finish off by hand and bluing in mating part....

ARRRGGH forget it ! Take to someone with a CNC and pay him !

Ken

Wouldn't it be possible to put it on a rotary table at 45° to the mill table and cut it with a 3" cutter while turning the rotary table? You could probably do it with a simple ball endmill if you can change the angle to the table while keeping things centered correctly. Isn't there a similar apprentice test for making a ball on the mill?

If the diameter of the pocket needs to be exactly 3" a 1/4" wide saw would not work unless it had a full radius tooth profile.

Greg

Another one who does not read the posts, he has not got a Rotary Table either

J

Still might be useful to somebody that has an RT.

If you absolutely have to build it, and cant design around it, it sounds like it would be more practical to:
  • Invest in tooling
  • Farm the job out to somone with a CNC
Rotary tables are nice and useful in a lot of situations, but probably not helpful for this unless its a really big rotary table and you have a big enough mill to spin that whole plate around. Farming it out might not be that expensive, and its always helpful to know someone in the business.

Seems to me it would be easiest on a lathe - face plate and large radius cutter. So if you know anyone with a reasonably sized machine I think I'd be begging a favour!

Flipping the drawing over helps as well, I just couldn't get me head around the perspective the way it was. I never was any good at standing on me head! ;)

index.php

Use the lathe, Step cut followed by Ball turner in reverse, i.e. tool over centre.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back