How long do you work on your projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, my agreement with SWMBO is that weekends are mine to work in the shop - but I'm on graveyard shift, and live in a quadplex home. my weekends I stay on the graveyard schedule, so I can't do anything out in the shop for fear of waking up the neighbors. And attracting bugs.

I go to bed around 10am most days, so that leaves about 3 hours each on Friday, Saturday, and occasionally Sunday morning - but I also work lots of overtime on weekends, so many times I lose even one day there.

Of the time I do get, it involves lots of cleaning and figuring things out as I'm still new to all of this, so actual work on a project is minimal :(

- Ryan

cfellows said:
My time in the shop gets interrupted by major house projects. Still, in between projects I seem to have plenty of time for the shop. Being retired I don't have a job to suck up my time. My biggest problem is that I don't have enough energy to spend more than 3 or 4 hours in the shop at a time. My back also begins to bother me if I'm on my feet for several hours. Still, if I don't have a major honey-do project going on, I can usually get 20 or so hours a week in shop time.

Unfotunately, I find it much easier and more comfortable to spend several hours each morning drinking coffee, surfing the internet, and reading the forums... regardless of whether there are other projects needing my attention!

Chuck

Do you have a web-cam by me or ... ;D - Chuck, that's exactly my words and situation too !

When I first started this hobby in earnest I was working for the military/DOD. I found myself on active duty. so when repairs were caught up shop was clean and shop stock inventoried and orders up to date etc then spare time could be uses for training projects. My first two engines were started on a Saturday and finished the following weekend.

At one time I was between jobs I was able to finish an engine in a month. these days I am away for work at least 11 hours a day.Have not compmpleted much of anthing for a while. Maintaining a house a car etc. houshold chores making wedding gifts going to weddings doing engine shows 5 times a year. life happens.
Tin

Had the week off. In the shop 6-8 hours almost every day. That was wonderful. Closing in on completion of Elmer's Radial.
Most days I can work a few hours in the morning and (if I'm not too beat) a couple in the evening. Too much fun.
Best
Stan

It has changed for me over the years. When I was young and single I could spend 6-8 hours at a stretch in the shop. As I got older and married with responsibilities, I found that if I was in the shop regularly, my mind was in "shop mode"and I could manage about 4 hours before fatigue bred impatience and I started doing dumb things. As I've gotten older, and developed Parkinson's disease, I find my period of useful shop time to be about an hour at a time.

Seems like everyone has the same sort of reasons for not being in the place of there hobby. I'm 50 years old as well...retired with 26 years in the Army. Now still work as I like my work !! Really !! But I have never had any formal training in machining. Have a few friends that do it for a living but once they get off work really don't want to talk about it much. So I read and learn from places like this. I was asking the questiopn to see how long I would take to complete projects. Since I have not completed any engines, but have made mods to my machines and have a few parts made for an engine. I will continue to learn and be patient with the task I take on. Hopefully not making too mny parts with mistakes or Ooops in them...which I have done a few times already...but the second time goes much smoother.
V 45

Back