Holiday present ....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
I went over to help a friend of mine clean out his garage and he gave me this. His father was a machinist and my friend has no interest in such things so he gave me this dial indicator. It is an interesting one as the spindle extends through the body, exits out the top of the case and is terminated by a small stop plate. This plate can then be lifted using a lever that is also attached to the case. The unit measures 3.500" in diameter and weighs a little over 17oz. and has a lug mount back. I'm not sure exactly what I will do with this one but the price was right. He also gave me some other bits and bobs of brass stock and some nice pieces of aluminum bar stock etc. He invited me back to continue helping him as we only made a small-ish dent in cleaning out the space. I kept busting his chops because I kept finding power extension cords that were virtually new. I said he had so many because he could never find the last one he bought in all the clutter :big: Then I made him coil them all up and we hung them on the wall. There is quite a bit more stuff to go through but if he gives me any more treasures like this it will be worth the time and effort.

BC1
Jim

DSCN2137.JPG

DSCN2140.JPG

DSCN2141.JPG

That type of indicator was used as a comparator in inspection. You set it to ZERO with a gage block set and then would use the lever to retract teh spindle between parts. Looks sweet.

Back