Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to keep the bare metal look try filling with soft plumbers solder, bit like the lead that was used before bondo was invented.

J

Hey Jason, that's funny, I just picked up a bunch of lead and paddles at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would never use it but I'm a sucker for old tools. Maybe I'll give it a try. Would it stick to aluminum?

I also have a bunch of that aluminum "brazing" rod...

Ah, thought it was steel in which case it won't stick to Ali.

fibreglassing resin and Aluminium powder will make a good silver coloured filler, don't know of a source for the powder where you are but its used for cold casting look at sculptors suppliers. This bowl was filled with it.

Failing that paint it Yellow ;)

J

Thanks for the idea's Jason.

I saw that bowl before when I was browsing your photo's. Very nice. My Dad is an excellent wood turner. His latest thing is turning extremely fragile objects encased in wax and then melting the wax away.

I made a start on the tank bottom by covering it in paper and rubbing graphite along the edges to make a template;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520012.jpg

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520013.jpg

Then transfer the template to the stock;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520014.jpg

Finally, cut the pieces out and try to beat them into submission;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520015.jpg

Have fun in the shop!

Here the tunnel has been stitched together and will only need a slight bit of persuasion to fit the tank bottom.

Not the prettiest thing but I will refine it a little more when everything is together.

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520017.jpg

Here is the tank, pretty much finished;

hoglet%2520tank%2520002.jpg

hoglet%2520tank%2520006.jpg

hoglet%2520tank%2520007.jpg

The tank was made from .025" 5052. In hindsight a thicker gauge of material would have been easier to weld and left more meat for blending out the high spots.

I buffed it up, but might flatten it back out with the scotchbrite.

I made a start on the rear wheel by roughing out the OD, leaving meat in the corner for a radius;

hoglet%2520b%2520002.jpg

And finished;

hoglet%2520b%2520003.jpg

It was then flipped around and bore straight for one side and tapered on the other;

hoglet%2520b%2520006.jpg

The inner rim was bored for a ball bearing and fancied up;

hoglet%2520b%2520009.jpg

hoglet%2520b%2520008.jpg

hoglet%2520b%2520007.jpg

I wasn't too happy with the chunky flange but the inspector was okay with it;

hoglet%2520b%2520013.jpg

Kevin;
I think you just published your new avatar (the inspector) ;). Great work.
Cheers
Garry

Hi Kevin.
th_confused0052 th_wav
Your on the track again Kevin. Beautiful work on that tank and rims. And when are the inspector going to have the first run :big: :big:
Best reg.
CS.

Thanks Garry, good call!

Thanks CS, I've got to finish this project before August when are second child is due, or I will have to change the title of this thread from "Hoglet" to "Kevin's life story" ;D

I tweaked the wheels a bit and pressed the bearings in. Also started a simple air cleaner;

hoglet%2520b%2520016.jpg
hoglet%2520b%2520015.jpg

Here is the rest of the air cleaner. It is 1 1/2 inch diameter;

hoglet%2520b%2520017.jpg

hoglet%2520b%2520019.jpg

Do you guys think the choke will be effective?

Thanks Dave!

Got to make a new seat, maybe a rear fender, tweak the engine, run a new throttle cable and then maybe she'll be done...

Hello Kevin, your choke is identical to the one used on "Villiers" engines for many years, worked fine!
Stew.

I just read through this whole build thread. What a GREAT build! Very, very nice craftsmanship. Thanks for posting all along the way. I really enjoyed reading through it. You have motivated me to take on the Hoglet as my next build.

Hello Kevin,
Great looking project you are building. I have read the posts and think it is a very nice project. Look forward to seeing more. Very nice looking little one you have there too. Kids are the best.

Thank you for allowing us to follow along.

HI kustomkb! your son Jonah Your son really cute I am chinese iam english is very poor Iwant tell you "you are good father ! You give your son's gift is very good! Hope this motorcycle he can keep a as a souvenir

Fascinating project, just read it through :cool:. It's a new level, not only you made the Hoglet motor but build an awesome motorcycle around it.

Cheers,
Giacomo

Randy made a larger Hoglet using Briggs & Stratton Heads. That one went into a Harley Sportster frame that he could ride.

He was working on super-Hoglet with Honda heads when he died quite quickly on September 27, 2014.

He will be missed as a good friend.

Mike Rehmus

Reactions: gus
Hi Kustomkb,
Any chance you would upload photos of the build?
Cheers.

Back