High & Low Temperature brazing materials - UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you go down the page on John Stevensons site, there is a person selling all sorts of braze materials, from silver solder sheet to the low temp ali welding rods.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

I shouldn't think they will last too long, so get in while you can. I have, and have bought a load of the silver solder foil, great for making pallions out of for tight corners and joints.

Just a bit of info, he does take paypal thru his email account.

John

Whats a pallion John?, googled it but it came up with references to Tyne & Weir

Thanks
Gordy

I think John meant 'pillion'.

Technically, it's the pad or seat for the passenger behind the driver of a motorcycle or a horse. Jewelers have adopted the 'pad' connotation to refer to small squares of silver solder cut and placed on the joint to limit the amount of solder delivered to the work. Presumably, they looked like tiny pillows or pads to the jewelers.

Gents,

Pallions is correct, but if you want to google it, you should search for 'solder pallions'.

This will most probably be your first hit

http://www.silverspiderforge.com/silversmithing.html

Down the page a bit shows how to cut pallions.

Basically, a pallion (sometimes called paillons) are tiny pieces of very thin solder that are placed into or on small areas that you want to solder.

I normally use 0.5mm wire, but when I saw this item being advertised, I nearly ripped his hand off. It is perfect for the very fine silver soldering that I normally carry out.

The 80" X 3" (10 pieces) that I bought off him for 25 squid should last me for many years.

John

Sorry about that, John. I won't try to second guess you again.

It's an interesting word. All references to it via Google seem to center around soldering. It makes me wonder about the origin of the word. My French dictionary says...

Large spangle, tinsel; wisp of straw; straw wrapper for bottle

which is sort of relevant, I guess, though the 'little pillow' connection still sounds more graphic to me.

Marv,

No problems, we can't all know everything, otherwise there would be no need for sites like this. I only know and use the name because many years ago I did a fair bit of research into silver brazing because of my job, and so became part of my vocabulary for a few years, so when the subject arises now, I use the word in the context that was intended. Doing very small silver soldering jobs.

Pallion, or paillon (which does look and sound very French), as far as I can remember, came from the use of tiny pieces of shiny metal embedded into glass enamel on jewellery and the like to give it sparkle, hence your 'spangle' or 'tinsel' that you discovered.

So most probably another word entered into the most bastardised language in the world, English.

John

Bogstandard said:
Pallion, or paillon (which does look and sound very French), as far as I can remember, came from the use of tiny pieces of shiny metal embedded into glass enamel on jewellery and the like to give it sparkle, hence your 'spangle' or 'tinsel' that you discovered.

I know this is WAY off-topic, but...
Indeed, Bogs, and they can be, and often are, sewn directly to a ladies´ evening dress... Or a handbag, etc. Pallion, Paillon are square bits. By far the more common are round, shiny metal bits, they´re "paillette" or "palliette". And if they´re rather big, they´re "sequin"...
Don´t ask me how I know... ;D

cidrontmg said:
I know this is WAY off-topic, but...
Indeed, Bogs, and they can be, and often are, sewn directly to a ladies´ evening dress... Or a handbag, etc. Pallion, Paillon are square bits. By far the more common are round, shiny metal bits, they´re "paillette" or "palliette". And if they´re rather big, they´re "sequin"...
Don´t ask me how I know... ;D

Surely you are not another one of the Tutu and tights brigade that have been appearing recently. Rof}

Bogs

Hehe, no Tutu and tights for me, thank you... :big:
But after 49 years of marriage with the boss & owner of a sewing factory, some things just rub on you, no matter how slight the interest.
Paillettes - sequins below. That´s not me, and that´s not my shop jacket... ;D

Paillettes.jpg

I thought I would show you what it actually looks like. My 25 squids worth turned up today, it doesn't look much, but easyflo silver solder foil, 80" long X 3" wide should last me a fair few years.

The bit I am holding is a freebie he sent with it.

Just cut a bit off to go around or under what you want to join, after fluxing up of course, and just warm it up a bit.

Silversolderfoil.jpg

As far as I can gather, he still has some left.

Bogs

Back