Hi from the Uk

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIPRAT

Reaction score
Hi guys
just joined the group and thought it was time i introduced my self my name is Paul i live in the little market town of Gainsborough Lincolnshire central UK.I have been involved with machining off and on for about 40 years i did my training with Marshall sons & co here in Gainsborough all you steam buffs out there may have heard of Marshall traction engines and steam engines sadly the works does not exist no more its site is now a shopping centre.I saw a lathe for sale at the right price the other month so i went out and bought it to go with the other machinery i have . what i intend to do is build a steam engine ,its
going to be interesting.i have not made my mind up what type of engine to build yet. cheers Paul

Welcome to the forum Paul.
Looking forward to sharing your experiences.

Welcome to the forums! ;D
Yes, it's too bad about the Marshall works.

I'm looking forward to seeing what type of steam engine you decide to build.

*coughlocomotivecough*

Welcome Paul, glad you found the forum.

Regards,
Bill

Paul,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

welcome dumpster rodent interesting avatar and handle. welcome to the loony bin think you will fit right in. lots of fun here and we actually build engines one in a while LOL
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
welcome dumpster rodent interesting avatar and handle.
He's not the only Packrat & Dumpster Diver here. ;D

Hi from Norfolk Paul. I had to resist diving in a skip yesterday for some nice bits of timber. It was sooo tempting but I have a shed full.

Peter.

I tell you a little bit about how i got the handle SKIPRAT but first here is a little something about its general origin.

Why SKIPRAT? Simply because most of the materials used in my engineering adventures have had a previous life. Some of the metals and other materials used in my creations are from articles that have out lived their usefulness and destined for the Dump A person that collects and uses stuff from a skip is a Skip Rat!! Oh well, if the hat fits....

At one engineering works where i was once employed i had this habit of looking through the scrap skips and if i found anything remotely useful ,i was in and out of the skip faster than you can blink! one older workmate observed this this behaviour
and said was in and out of the skips like a Rat so the handle SKIPRAT was applied to me and the rest is history.

That took place about 40 years ago and to this day i just cannot pass a skip without
looking to see what treasures are in it i guess i am incurable now.

i shall try to post more of my engineering adventures in the future.

Hi Paul, welcome aboard 8)

A good friend of mine is nick-named "Skippy" for just the same reason as you came by your nickname ......... we seriously need to look at extending his garage just to accommodate all his "treasures" :big: ;D :big:

Have fun, that and pictures are the main requirements

CC

SKIPRAT :bow:

A man after my own heart. I saw the avatar and the handle and new it could only mean one thing. People just can't believe some of the things you can find in them dumpsters. Keep looking for treasure's and welcome to the forum.

cheers :)

Don

Hi Guys
Thanks for the welcome great forum just been reading through your posts today for several hours and found out a hell of i lot i did not know about small boilers and constructing them thanks firebird and sandyc .When i first found this forum i was looking for plans for a small boiler to steam up a small steam engine searching the web i noticed there was a lack of freely available plans and advice about small boilers and i was thinking that is home building a small boiler "a black art" or something like that. Having in the past been employed in the engineering industry machining and fitting for quite a few years have been longing for a lathe of my own but never been able to afford one.however i have rescued an old pillar drill and a power hacksaw from the scrap man and got them back to working order not restored still retaining their character. then a couple of months ago i came across a lathe not old in fact of Asian origin but old enough to have had all its gremlins sorted out it came from a model engineer who was moving on to a bigger lathe enough of me rambling on .
cheers Paul

Hi Paul, the Steamboat Association of UK has a library of insurer-approved boiler designs. Some are quite small -would suit a Stuart 5A size engine. I hope you enjoy your home machining! John.

Latest posts

Back