Hi! From Southwest Mi

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS455

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thought i would post here and introduce myself. I am a mold designer by trade and also have a journeymans mold maker back ground. I am interested in building a 2 cyl JD stationary engine, and maybe eventually a tractor.

I have access to UG NX solid modeling software and am interested in buying a suitable mill/lathe to build a project like this. Limitations would be weight as I have to get the machinery i purchase down into the basement! Perhaps someone here can make a recommendation for some equipment?

I have been off the bench so to speak for almost 20 years but still have all my tools and would like to get started in this hobby! Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Welcome to the forum . As far as small machines IMHO one of the more popular choises are the Mini Mill and mini lathe from Sieg . the nicer ones are sold by Littlmachineshop.com and micromark in new jersey. the lathe is about 85 lbs and the mill about 150 lbs the mill is easily disassembled by taking off the large nut that holds the column to the base.

Sherlines and Taig are also nice machines and made in USA they have lots of accessories available. There has been much discussion on this forum about machines so search browse and ask away.
Tin

Hello from SE MI. I guess the weight you are willing to wrestle is the factor. My old bench top was 700lbs but could be taken apart into 4 pieces. It is in a basement now and the new owner is happy with it.

I know folks that have put Bridgeport in there basement. Like steve said depends how much you consider movable.
Tin

I probably wouldn't want to mess with any individual piece over 200-250 lbs.

Hi from the Kalamazoo area.
Not sure if you want to go manual or CNC but for CNC the Tormach PCNC 770 was designed to be broken down and re-assembled for moving to a basement.
I have one and love it. Tormach is a very good company to work with.
Gerry

Latest posts

Back