HF 8 x 12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin Falcon said:
just noticed that harbor freight is advertising there 8 x 12 bench lathe for $549 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44859 this is only 50 bucks more than there 7 x 12 and it has almost three times the heft so should be a stiffer setup. No endorsement I do not have any HF machine tools. but it could be an interesting starter lathe for someone on a budget.
Tin

Yeah, but look closely at the pic. Someone has put a MT dead center in the 3 jaw chuck. Not sure I would go that route. ::) I have the HF 7x12 and it has done everything I have asked of it...after tweaking and modding the machine to my liking. I think the biggest drawback of the 8X12 is the lack of variable speed. Moving belts to change speeds is a huge PITA when going from one op to another. The extra capacity is nice but I think the 7x12 would be less frustrating for a new HSM'ist. Just my $.02

You have never turned between centers websterz?

Rick

Yeah, but look closely at the pic. Someone has put a MT dead center in the 3 jaw chuck. Not sure I would go that route.
Did not notice that. display purposes only!!!
I agree that the lack of variable speed is a downside.
Tin

rake60 said:
You have never turned between centers websterz?

Rick

Yeah, I turn between centers all the time. Just not with a tapered center chucked up like the pic shows. :big:

Todd

I just bought one of the 8X12 lathes to be a CNC lathe. I have not used it yet, but have started taking it apart to convert.

I previously owned a 7x12, and this machine is a LOT bigger machine than just one inch would imply. It weighs over 200 pounds. In every detail Ive seen so far it is an excellent machine.

I expect to replace the spindle motor with an AC servo I have so I can have full spindle indexing. I will be adding a ballscrew to the Z axis, but I think I going to use the X axis screw as supplied. There are thrust bearings on the screw.

This is the identical machine that Lathemaster sell as an 8x14. I dont know why HF refers to it as 8x12.

Ive only had it a month, and I have not had much time to work on it yet, but it will be my next major project. As I get into it I will post some detail here.

RonGinger said:
I just bought one of the 8X12 lathes to be a CNC lathe. ..
Ive only had it a month, and I have not had much time to work on it yet, but it will be my next major project. As I get into it I will post some detail here.

Are you going to add spindle speed control?

Wow Tin,
Wish I would have known. Your close enought for a free delivery. I am starting to look to sell my HF 8 x 12.
Phase II Hobby QCTP with many holders, Face plate, 4 jaw, well maintained. Work lite added back splash. Used for a year then moved up to griz 10 x 20. Story of my life ....a day late and a dollar short. Good luck with your new Machine
Tony

the HF8x12, Lathemaster 8x14, are superior lathes to the Mini.

Latest posts

Back