Help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am relative new to minature machining and milling. I reading a recent article a "emergency collet" was mentioned. My question is what is that?

I am starting my first project which is a 5 cylinder air driven radial engine. My ultimate goal is to complete a 1/6 scale P & W R-985 engine. As a pilot of many years I have flown behind 2 of the R-985's for thousands of hours. Any pointers will be greatly appreaciated. I have a table top mill and lathe from Micro-Mark tools and a old Chraftsman (Atlas) lathe I am planing to get back soon, as I sold it to a friend that is not using it.

First of all the answer to your question.
an emergency collet normally a 5c collet or 3 c collet is made of material that can be easily machined to the size needed for immediate and sometimes a single use. An emergency collet can be made of steel plastic and IIRC brass .

normally we like introductions in the welcome section. I will move this thread in a day or two. but did not want you to think the thread disappeared and you were not welcome here.
Kudos and congratulations for an introduction on your first post that does not always happen.
My suggestion is build a simple model or three then move to internal combustion then to multiple cylinder ICs. What model Craftsman? I have a couple of the humble 109s myself as well as a MM x-2 mill.
Tin

Hello "Letsflyj3"
Usually the term "Emergency Collet" refers to a machinable collet, most commonly of the 5C form. (Other form factors are "out there"; just harder to find. Such collets greatly extend the versatility of collets for work holding thin parts or usual sizes.
A "pot chuck" is another work holding device much like a collet that one can fabricate for use in an existing 3/4 jaw chuck.

If you'd like to see some photos or more detail ... google is your friend ;o)

Charlie

Latest posts

Back