Help with finish Please.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aonemarine you got it. it was the collar at the end of the spindle i gave it like an 1/8 of a turn did two cuts and it is gone Thank you very much that was great. Love this site. One more question i have two collets one says southbend and has the number 2 on it and is twice the size of a 3c collet do you know what this is for? Thanks again.

Bronson.

It looks like some kind of vibration is resonating in the bar from the machine, see how the frequency gets higher the further you get from the chuck?

I feel this is more deflection from a lite weight machine.. seen it in mine as well.... there is ways around it.... back rake and tool tip radius are critical....sometimes you have to go against the rules... Im talking 20' back rake... Yea it sounds nuts but works....

Thats provided the spindle collar is snug and not bumpy when rotated by hand with some drag applied...

Aonemarine you got it. it was the collar at the end of the spindle i gave it like an 1/8 of a turn did two cuts and it is gone Thank you very much that was great. Love this site. One more question i have two collets one says southbend and has the number 2 on it and is twice the size of a 3c collet do you know what this is for? Thanks again.

Bronson.

Heck no!! I have 10 K collets and im still after 20 years trying to figure out what they are!!

Bronson.

Glad I helped you out, these old lathes can still kick some butt! ;D

That thread about the single phase motors was very interesting. I have replaced my motor about one year ago i run 110 volts 3/4 hp. The belt i run is an automotive ribbed belt which made a hugh difference. My stand for my lathe is not that ridged i need a new one. Thanks again.

I will have to read that thread... but if the feed is controlled directly by the motor speed I really dont see where it would come into play... except for varying load..hmmm still shouldnt matter... speed and feed the same... Geared...

Maybe chuck jaws are worn and not gripping part properly. Some thing is definitely playing up.

Paul.

Should have read last page of posts, I see that it's fixed.

Last edited:
My lathe is a 1930s Faircut Senior that gives a good finish , It is more likely to be tool geometry , the harder the material being turned the more top rake is required on the tool , the larger the radius on the cutter the better the finish with really light cuts , and dead on centre , face of without leaving a pip and you know it's right .

Back