Help with corner end mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMSK1

Reaction score
Ok I have bought two different corner rounding end mills and they don't do what I need, I know I don't understand the size they have listed or what I need ,,hopefully some one here can steer me in the right direction ,,
A part that I make for my winches needs a 1/8" groove cut threw a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum 1/2" long ,,The 1/8" end mill leaves a sharp edge and that's what I want to round off ,, The last end mill said 1/8 ,,so I fig it would fit ,,no the center cut is .249 ,,,Thank you Robert

The 1/8" on a corner rounder is the corner radius it makes. The center width can be anything. I would look for a carbide tip wood router bit. You can get a beading/roundover bit from Grizzly Industrial. A model C1318 might do what you want. I use the wood router bits on aluminum all the time.

I can see where your problem is, usually it's the outside edges that require rounding, but in your case it's the inside edges. As Toolguy said, on the cutter the centre width can be anything. Perhaps you can get away with a 45deg chamfer instead, this can easily be done with a 45deg cutter that comes to a point.

Paul.

One thing I did on a beam engine column that I wanted to do a round bottom groove in, but I did not have a ball end mill, was to angle the cutter 45 degrees and use the edge of it, like in this photo. I lowered the headstock till it gave the depth of cut I wanted, then used the X/Y table to move the stock along to form the groove. Saved the time to order a ball end mill.

attachment.php

The starting ends had a sloped flat rather than a true curve, but still looked fine.

Thank you for your reply's , I was doing a google and found the end mill that I needed , They talked about 1/8" was what the cut depth was not the point size ,,So they don't make one for the type of cut iam doing , but could be used for type of cut when I find one that will fit ,,Harvey Tools will give them a search ,,,Robert

I use Harvey tools quite often for making prototypes. They are super high quality for a reasonable price.

What sort of radius do you want on the edges?

MSC have a 1/4 OD cutter which gives 1/16" radius so middle would be 1/8".

This would obviously only go 1/16" deep so you would have to make one pass to do the actual cut and then the second to radius the edges

http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/CGI/INSR...214flx%26SectionIndex=0%26PageIndex=335%26Arg=

Should also be available from them in the states

This one looks like it will do the job ,,,The plate is a fairlead for a small winch ,,It needs a beveled edge to stop the line from fraying/cutting
Thank you ,,,,

Latest posts

Back