hello

• Thread starter compound driver
  • Start date
Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to say hi, my name is Burton I am 28 yrs old and from the beautiful Shanendoah Valley Virginia. I have only been machining for a few years, I make a lot of tooling, I talked my wife into letting me buy a lathe one day because I needed to cut a piece of tubing square and then I was hooked. I picked up a mill and recently converted it to cnc.
I built a turbine engine last year, it would be better known as a garage heater or a boat anchor. It didnt run the best, but I knew nothing about them. I am now working on two of them and it looks promising this time. I am also working on four ic engines, a Wall Water Witch (Popular Mechanics October 1946), one called A Simplified Four, both 1 in bore by 1 in stroke, a .4375 bore ohv 4 stroke single (tiny), and a .4375 bore inline twin 2 stroke. I have a two month old daughter that keeps me occupied so my garage time is limited for a while.

I am a disabled hard rock gold miner that has been building up a small machine shop for hobby work instead of watching soaps all day.

So far i have a old mod 700 Wards/logan lathe, a old Atlas 7 inch shaper, and a small mill.

One project i have always wanted to try is to build a small diesel engine like the old Witte diesel but with modern injector system so i can wire the battery charge controller to the injector and shut down the generator when the batteries are charged.
I plan to inlay one of the flywheels with neodymium magnets and put a 12 volt field winding around it.

One mine i worked at had a old 15 hp one cyl Witte diesel with a belt driven 12 volt 10 kw generator that we used to charge a battery bank and ran the living quarters and shop with a inverter running off the battery bank.
The old Witte run for about 8 to 12 hours every third day.
it used about 1/2 gal of diesel per hour.
So our total fuel use for three days power was about .082 gal per hour.
Plus we took the radiator system off the engine and piped it to a large water tank and used it for hot water.

What i want to build is a smaller 12 volt 1kw diesel generator with a up dated old style slow speed horizontal diesel like a Witte.
http://www.petternut.co.uk/Witte CD.jpg

This would make a great backup generator for a wind and/or solar power system.

Latest posts

Back