hello

• Thread starter compound driver
  • Start date
Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

compound driver

Wanted to say hello and show the last engine build. Its a 1 inch Minnie rather converted from the drawings.

longgrass.jpg

safetylifting.jpg

assend.jpg

All the best Kevin

[/img]

Welcome Kevin

Beautiful work on the model!

Rick

Welcome Kevin,
I have been following your posts on Scale Models, very impressive.
Are you going to use your new one for going to the supermarket?
Doing a full size show this weekend at Malpas in Cheshire.
Great bunch of lads on here, very helpful all round.

John

Hi,

I was pointed here a few days ago by Cedge as I am in the process of finally getting myself a workshop and as its been over 19 years since I've used a lathe I figure I few pointers wouldn't go astray before I dive back in.

At the moment I just have a bit of level land as I'm waiting on council approval for my workshop to be built but I'm still living in hope I will have it built before Christmas.

I've not done any serious metalwork in a long time but I do dabble in silver smithing and very rarely gold smithing so I do get to play with metalworking tools of a sort at the moment.

I'll probably be fairly quiet here until my workshop is nearly built and then I'm sure I will have a lot more questions but just thought I would join now and say hello rather than spend the next month or so just lurking on this forum.

For those interested here is how far my workshop has progressed.
Unfortunately nearly has the flat area can't be used as my Septic tanks are in the lower third of the area.
Crazy thing is the earthworks cost me more than the workshop will. :lol:

Tony
shed15.jpg

Welcome to the site. Were are glad to have you, and are excited that you will be getting your hands dirty real soon. It looks like you will have a nice place to work, too.

Keep us posted on your shop building project.

wareagle said:
It looks like you will have a nice place to work, too.

Yes it will be if council ever approves it. :?
To be fair its only been 2 weeks since council will of got the application so it could be up to another 4 weeks before they approve it.

The workshop will be of colourbond construction (Metal frame and metal clad) and be 4 by 4.8m with a reinforced concrete floor.
Wish I could make it bigger but I'm shoe horning one this big in the available space as it is.

Once it is built I need to get myself a lathe and that is when the fun starts as I will have to get the lathe across some 10m of dirt and down a 4 meter gravel slope.
I can see for that job I will need to put a BBQ and beers on and invite some friends round to help get it to the shed safely. :?

Atleast I won't have to worry about anyone ever stealing it as once its in it will never be coming out. :lol:

Welcome Tmuir,

All great projects start by moving dirt.

Kenny

Welcome T,
I know what it's like building your own workshop, digging the footings for the concrete base was the worst part. Get the concrete sealed before anything else otherwise you will be chewing dust for years.
With good friends around you, you will have no trouble getting that lathe in.

John

Hiya Tony
Glad to see you checking in. I think you'll find these guys are going to be quite a bit of help as you get things going. Hmmm... a beer and BBQ moving party... haven't used that ruse since I was in service. Sure got a lot painting and packing done that way though...LOL

Hope the council gets on the ball, Christmas is rushing upon us in a real hurry. Here in the US, Thanksgiving day is right around the corner and Halloween is tomorrow night.

Steve

Welcome Tony

I hope all goes well with your proposed shop.

Rick

Hi Tony,

What part of the country do you live in that requires council approval of a workshop?

Chuck

cfellows said:
Hi Tony,

What part of the country do you live in that requires council approval of a workshop?

Chuck

I live in Kalamunda which is on the ouskirts of Perth Western Australia.
Here any building large than 3m by 3m requires council approval which unfortunately includes sheds and workshops.
My building meets all the council guidelines so its really just a rubber stamp job and $150 in the council's coffers but even so it takes time.

As per Bogstandard's advice I had already decided to seal the floor.
Not sure how long you need to wait after the concrete has set before sealing it though so need to find that out too.

Hi

Have you thought about building your own workshop, that way you can use every last square inch. The first shed I built was way too small and I regretted it. Julian built his own workshop and I copied his method of construction. If it's any use to you I'll post a couple of pics.

Cheers

Hi,

Rick Harris

UK based, in Lincolnshire. A teacher, (Design and Technology), so have access to lots of CAD/CAM equipment - Mills, Lathe, Routers and Laser cutter - sorry, I know I am spoiled - it's a rough job but someone has to do it. ;)

Originally a computer hardware engineer I am now getting my home workshop together with manual lathe, mill etc to follow in my fathers footsteps in my retirement.

He was a British Rail Steam fitter for 48 years and made steam models as a hobby - Sadly my Mother didn't value them a great deal so little remains now he is gone. :mad:

Looking forwards to a) promoting model engineering at school - Not enough young folk have hobbies let alone take up model engineering these days. b) Learning and sharing my successes (eventually).

I'm Peter from Brisbane Australia. My field is electronics, but I also love playing with mechanical things. I've rebuilt and modified full size engines, including Mazda Rotaries. My first attempt at a model engine is a steam oscillator, using the chassis and flywheel from a computer floppy drive. A side effect of this is that it generates about 3 Volts. Here's a video of it running on compressed air.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/ZtRf4PD4EDc"

Peter.

I am a college student engineering in Mechanical Engineering. I want to help solve the energy crisis.. I am interested in solar thermal energy (parabolic trough) and other renewables. I have 3 years experience in general construction, so I want to take a stab at building an engine. I asked some general questions in another topic and got shot down more than helped, so I'm not sure if this place is even worth my time, but I guess I'll try again when I have a question that doesnt peg me as some guy trying to get free product development

Thanks
Ian

Hi all,

Im new to this forum and am hoping to learn some good advise! Ive been collecting mamod engines for a while now and have just started building my own scratch built of the same sort of size. I an also a voulenteer at the twyford water works trust who have just had a sucessfull model open day!

I am looking to build a Hot air engine but nothing too complicated!

Will

I just thought I'd stop in and say hello.

I have posted a couple of times here, without introduction, so just letting you know there's another new guy here. Lately this has become my usual hiding place, and I see a few familiar "faces" here from the other forums. It's nice to read posts on what someone is actually doing with themselves instead of reading about politics and economy, or even resident experts arguing their way is the only way.

I've been in the machining trade long enough to know that there could well be a hundred ways of doing a job, some may be better than others; but it's the final product you're after, not how you got there. Nice to look at a finished and running engine built with a drill press and file instead of a fully equipped machine shop. I believe that using you head and what's available to you to get a job done will win out over "you can't do that without the proper CNC equipment" every time.

Anyway, hello to all!

Kevin

Wow, what a cool forum!
I've had a quick look around and have seen many nice projects.

My engine building began way back in junior high school- I made a simple oscillating (steam) engine that I still proudly display ;D.
I have enjoyed machining ever since, including most jobs I have held, although I am not a qualified machinist.

My current project is a 4 cylinder oscillating steam engine derived from Jan Gunnarsson's (sorry if missspelt) plans. I am fairly well along and will try to post some pics in another thread.

Cheers,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back