Hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebor222

Reaction score
Im new new to model engine building.

I have a medium sized free standing lathe.

I have knowledge of of how engines work as i whet to college to train as a car mechanic.

Im into Hit & miss engines.

Im from the UK

(I never know what to say i these lol)

Robert

Welcome to HMEM Robert. This is the place to ask questions, share projects or just hang out.

Regards,
Bill

Hello Tre'

And welcome. Aren't you supposed to say 'cheers' or 'jolly good' or something to that effect
Rof}
Seriously, we are really interested in any types of projects you have done or are working on. It needn't be anything fancy, lord only knows we have some gorgeous examples here that some of the members have parlayed out of metal as well as the 'not so accurate' models. But in the very end they are all loved just the same for what they are and for the accomplishment depending on the builders skill level and availability to tooling.
We LOVE picture images. They only add to the addictive nature of HMEM and it is a chance to see what/how others approach their given sets of roadblocks in their quest to entice the engine that lies hidden deep within every piece of metal. ;D
Do you have any interests in steam engines at all? Hit and miss, IC engines, have been becoming more popular here as of recent and there are several excellent work in progress threads to satisfy even the most rabid fan.

BC1
Jim

Hello all.

Thankyou for all the nice comments.

bearcar1 said:
Hello Tre'

And welcome. Aren't you supposed to say 'cheers' or 'jolly good' or something to that effect
Rof}
Seriously, we are really interested in any types of projects you have done or are working on. It needn't be anything fancy, lord only knows we have some gorgeous examples here that some of the members have parlayed out of metal as well as the 'not so accurate' models. But in the very end they are all loved just the same for what they are and for the accomplishment depending on the builders skill level and availability to tooling.
We LOVE picture images. They only add to the addictive nature of HMEM and it is a chance to see what/how others approach their given sets of roadblocks in their quest to entice the engine that lies hidden deep within every piece of metal. ;D
Do you have any interests in steam engines at all? Hit and miss, IC engines, have been becoming more popular here as of recent and there are several excellent work in progress threads to satisfy even the most rabid fan.

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim i am interested in steam engines i would like to make a marine steam engine at some point to go in a future project thats is the Portwey Twin screw, coal fired steam tug Built 1926 it will be RC.
Steam%20tugs~1.jpg

2210709_2fe38198.jpg

Welcome Robert,

Triple expansions - two of them....!!! That's a lot of power and a great looking tug. About a four or five footer would pull you around in a skiff (back where the beer cooler is) all day long. Then push you to the dock at days end....Oh Yeah!

BillC

Robert,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

BillC said:
Triple expansions - two of them....!!!
BillC

Bill, I think they are 2 cyl compounds the small cover at the end is for the HP valve and there are only 2 sets of eccentrics and cranks.

Hi every one

Is there an engine that can be built with just a lathe and some power tools?

Robert

I never know what to say i these lol)
Lets see: A bit about your background. A bit about your shop. And a bit about your interests in model engines. Looks like you covered the basics Robert.
Is there an engine that can be built with just a lathe and some power tools?
This one is fairly straight forward and easy to build
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm
Folks here just finished a team build of it that looks much nicer than the photos at the first site.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11903.0
Welcome to the board
tin

Welcome to the forum Robert. I have some RC tugs but all electric. I have 1 steam boat (Midwest boat and engine). I have built a few 2 cylinder steam engines and there are quite a few here and on MadModder that build steam engines. Plenty of information on this forum. You could also try Hasbrouck Engines, they are all to be made from stock material (Number 7 is a nice one).

ironman (Ray)

ironman said:
Welcome to the forum Robert. I have some RC tugs but all electric. I have 1 steam boat (Midwest boat and engine). I have built a few 2 cylinder steam engines and there are quite a few here and on MadModder that build steam engines. Plenty of information on this forum. You could also try Hasbrouck Engines, they are all to be made from stock material (Number 7 is a nice one).

ironman (Ray)

Thanks for the welcome
I will have a look for the Hasbrouck Engines.

krv3000 said:
Welcome to the forum

Thak you

Maryak said:
Bill, I think they are 2 cyl compounds the small cover at the end is for the HP valve and there are only 2 sets of eccentrics and cranks.

Dah, yeah, da little cylinder would need a valve too :-[ .....wouldn't it? Thanks for pointing that out ;D

Latest posts

Back