Hello from Western Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin_Sane

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while doing some research on lost wax casting, and took a peek around. This forum seems pretty interesting so I decided to register!

A bit about myself,

I am a machinist/CNC Programmer, I am also a Mechanical Technician Toolmaking, and im currently taking a Robotics technician program.

I am currently self employed. My company provides CNC consulting services for the manufacturing industry. I have a fully licenced (3d and multiaxis) current copy of Mastercam. Even though I have the MCX solids module, I also use Alibre 2011 for CAD design.

Personally I have a small taig lathe with 90% of the attachments. I havent used it too much to date, but ive been starting to use it more and more lately. I have also assembled a hobby cnc 4 axis driver, and have plans to convert a small manual machine to cnc. I may just pick up a taig mill for simplicity.

In terms of model engines, I have no experience. It has always been an interest of mine, however I have not gotten into it. With finding this forum, I am looking to change that!

I am glad I found this forum and im looking forward to being a contributing member!

Brandon

Reactions: gus
Hmm what cha doin' in your spare time??
welcome to the forum. with your experience you should be able to side into engine building.
Tin

Thanks guys,

Well in my spare time, well... ill let the picture speak for itself lol

CarsinDriveway2.jpg

I do make parts for my cars on industrial cnc machine tools (i used to work for a distributor) I design my parts with Alibre and/or mastercam, then machine them on whatever machines I can get access to. lol Sometimes i program them with mastercam, sometimes I dont. Depends on the part, and the piece of machinery I am using. I used to have a shop, ive owned 3 separate full size CNCs, of which one was dropped and destroyed by the crane company that was moving it, and the other two ive since sold. Ive decided that its cheaper and more profitable to provide consulting work. Ill probably set up shop again later in life when im ready to plant roots in one place. Im 27 now, lots of time to do that in the future. :)

Heres a few screenshots of some simple parts ive been working on lately, Im designing an Intake manifold and throttle body for the yellow car, because the stock intake manifold is poorly designed. It causes more air to flow into the middle two cylinders causing a lean condition in them. You simply have to replace it if you want to make more than 350 rear wheel horsepower (this car is destined for 500+ rwhp).

throttlebodyfront.jpg

throttlebodyback.jpg

I designed this part to be fully machined, so i can put a bend in the intake runners without having to find a place that can cnc mandrel bend four parts of oval aluminum tubing. It would be a huge pain, and likely more expensive than machining an elbow myself.

runneradaptor.jpg

I look forward to building my first model engine. Once i get some experience with model engines, I can start to put my assets to use helping the community :)

Welcome Brandon and thanks for the great introduction

Brandon

Hi and welcome to HMEM. It is nice to hear that you have found us to your liking so far. From your introduction and photo's it looks like you will have lots to contribute to the forum as well. We look forward to your participation in the various forum's. If you need any help or have any questions just ask as there is usually someone around to ask or at least give an opinion.

Cheers :)

Don

Back