hello from south western Manitoba

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twosteam

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member. My name is Janice but please call me Jan. I am newly retired from my occupation as a long haul owner operator. I know, not a common job for women but there are more of us all the time. I love Motor cycles , own a 1954 Triumph war model 500 twin. (stock) I love tinkering and machining. My equipment is rather rudimentary as I am not rich.
I started with my Taig lathe and bought a couple larger ones over time as well as a small mill.
I am learning, would love to get into foundry works , small IC engines and steam.
This place looks to be a real nice hangout- Hi all!
jan.*beer*

Hi Jan,

Great to see a Manitoban in the mix. This site is incredible with talents ranging all the way from mine to completely out of the world.

I'm continually impressed with the knowledge, experience, talent, and generosity of this collection of characters. It sounds like you're already off and running while I'm still trying to get half way to where you are. If your looking to expand your abilities, this group will challenge you to brand new levels and happily help you every step of the way.

Enjoy the trip!

Joe in Winnipeg

Welcome Jan. Do you have a project in mind yet?

Cheers,
Phil

Jan: welcome to the forum. You will probably notice not a lot of women here either. But anyone is welcome here who wants to lean and is willing to show respect to others. My aunt loves motorcycles too but she is 90 now and has not ridden in a while. She also operated a few machine tools during WWII . A small lathe and mill is about all that is needed to get started in this hobby desire and a few hand tools and measuring tools helps as well. Most of us have or started with humble tools . A small Chinese lathe, Seig c2 7x10 was all I could afford when I started. I still do not have the Bridgeport mill or 12 x 36 lathe that a few have.

Here are a couple of threads to help get you started. In engine building we suggest you build a couple simple air/steam engines before moving to IC.

Selecting a first Engine to Build

Getting Started in Model Engine Building

Foundry work is not difficult but does take time and it is extremely important to learn safe practices and proper Protective gear must be worn.
Tin

Latest posts

Back