Hello from Ohio,USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimey1

Reaction score
After seeing videos of some of this forums' member's engines,I was impressed enough to join.

I ran across those videos while doing a search on the motorized bicycle forum and saw many people were searching for vintage-styled early 1900's single cyl and v-twin engines from 50cc to 500cc to use in vintage-styled Boardtrack racer motorcycles.(which back in the day,were modified bicycle frames with engines installed).

These vintage-styled Boardtrack racers are extremely popular at the moment,and there is a huge market for engines for them.

I have since become interested in creating my own miniature mechanical work of art like your forum members have created.

I have already purchased a Grizzly g4015 Lathe/Mill combo. It is a 16 1/2x 19 1/25. I hope this unit is big enough for my use.I actually bought this unit to make motorcycle parts.

I have NEVER used a lathe or mill,so this will be an interesting "hands on" learning experience lol.

I work at Rolls-Royce Energy Systems,and have access to almost unlimited supplies of 6061 Aluminum and 316L Stainless Steel. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's miniature mechanical art,and hopefully learning something along the way.

Hi Slimey1 and welcome to the forum.

My lathe is very similar to yours. I have learnt doing things "hands on" and it is really fun. Hope you enjoy it also.

Vince

I'm in Strongsville. If you have any questions just ask.
gbritnell

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction.

I suggest you read some basic machining books
Army TC 9-524 is available as a PDF download public domain.
I suggest a used older edition of a college level machining text and
last but not least a copy of the machinery's handbook . The reference book for machinists since 1915 . Either a out of copyright pdf of an older edition hard copy. FYI the reason I mention older editions is they tend to be cheaper than the latest and greatest. And since many of use use 50 plus year old machines an older book is fine.

Tin

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys and great information. Good Luck with your projects.

Hi, Slimey1

Do you work at the Mt Vernon site? If so, do you live in town or out?

Chiptosser
Yes,I work at the Mt.Vernon site. I spent 6 years as a fabricator/assembler,then the last 6 years in the paint dept.

Yes,I live in town...I actually live right behind Dirko's Pizza lol.

Hi Slimey1 and welcome to the forum.

My lathe is very similar to yours. I have learnt doing things "hands on" and it is really fun. Hope you enjoy it also.

Vince
I had to move soon after buying my Grizzly,and this house doesn't have a garage...yet. I'm building a garage in a couple of weeks.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction.

I suggest you read some basic machining books
Army TC 9-524 is available as a PDF download public domain.
I suggest a used older edition of a college level machining text and
last but not least a copy of the machinery's handbook . The reference book for machinists since 1915 . Either a out of copyright pdf of an older edition hard copy. FYI the reason I mention older editions is they tend to be cheaper than the latest and greatest. And since many of use use 50 plus year old machines an older book is fine.

Tin
Thank you.
I'm amazed at your forum members' skills and I consider these members' engines as nothing less than art. Very beautiful work.

I've always loved the look of machined metal.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys and great information. Good Luck with your projects.
Thank you.
I'd love to be able to build a engine even half as nice as the folks on this forum.I think i've watched EVERY youtube video on these small engines.You people do incredible work!!!!

Welcome!
One suggestion that (in addition to forums) was the biggest help in learning. Watch every one of mrpete222 (aka Tubalcain) videos on YouTube. He is a retired high school machine shop teacher and covers virtually everything you need to know to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Welcome!
One suggestion that (in addition to forums) was the biggest help in learning. Watch every one of mrpete222 (aka Tubalcain) videos on YouTube. He is a retired high school machine shop teacher and covers virtually everything you need to know to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines
Yes sir,i've watched a few of tubalcain's vids and I love them.

Latest posts

Back