Hello from Kansas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescotty

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a month or two now and thought I should say hello. I started out in this hobby when I purchased a minilathe about 6 years ago. I haven't built much since then, but have managed to read a lot, and move up to a Sheldon lathe. I'm currently working on moving my machine tools into their own room. I've done a SketchUp! model of the proposed layout:

shop_3d2.jpg

shop_3d3.jpg

It'll be cozy, but I think there should be enough room.

Once I finish the move, I'm planning on building one of Elmer's horizontal wobblers. I've done a 3D model, now I just need to build it:

wobbler1.jpg

I've really enjoyed following the various threads, and hopefully I can start to contribute some here and there.

Scott

Heya Scott! Welcome to the club. It is a great place to learn (and teach) ;D The room already built or is it going to be an addition?

Eric

Welcome Scott, nice drawings.

Im sure you will find that a shop is like a garden, small and orderly is more productive then large and messy.

I made an engine like the Elmer's horizontal wobbler but changed it to make it vertical. Its a good one to get started on.

Nothing on mine was to print at all, I just looked at the drawing and made it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWz2z4LePSs[/ame]

Eric,
The room is currently an 'office' in the basement, but it's really just a place to collect junk. So, I'm 'repurposing' it to be my shop. My tools are currently in my garage, but it's just getting too crowded in there. Especially with my wife having this delusional idea that we should park cars in it. ;D

tattoomike68,
Looks like a good runner.

Rick, thanks for the welcome.

Scott

Welcome Scott. I think you'll get addicted to this place real fast. I know I did.

Hey, can you do a mirror image of that engine? I accidentally put a counter bored hole on the wrong side of the frame. So now I need to make it a mirror of the original. :big:

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd,

How's this?
engine1.jpg

;D

Every time I look at the drawing I have a hard time figuring out which side the counterbore is on. I think it's because I'm expecting the view that's from the bottom to be from the top.

Scott

applescotty said:
I'm currently working on moving my machine tools into their own room. I've done a SketchUp!

Hi Scott, welcome to the HMEM board. Boy I admire your skills with sketchup! I never could get much beyond making a cube! What are the dimensions of the room your making into a shop?

Chuck

Chuck,

Without the closet bump out, it's 9'9" x 11' 4". So, 110 square feet.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

What happen was I drilled the large hole for the flywheel shaft and then drilled the co'bore hole from the same side instead of flipping it over. ??? ::)

Should have oriented the piece right the first time. Oh well, live and learn. ::)

Bernd

Latest posts

Back