Hello everybody!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispyfur

Noob
Reaction score
Hello from Western New York!

My name is Chris, and I am here more because I love engines than any love for machining... (yet, but I suspect that could change!)

I work at my local NAPA parts store, and know my way around a car and engines simply because I used to read my fair share of muscle car magazines when I was younger. I graduated from WyoTech having taken their automotive technology core program and high performance powertrains course.

I'm in the process of planning my first engine now, and it's certainly ambitious. I would like to build a liquid cooled, single overhead cam V10 engine. I intend to build most of the engine block, oil pan, heads, intake manifold and pistons out of recycled aluminum which I will cast and machine myself. Some of the hardened parts I intend to buy for existing applications, and by using the bore dimensions from a small motorcycle I should be able to use things like piston rings, valves, valve springs, and possibly valve seats that are already out there.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions going forward, so with any luck I will be right back here bothering you nice people! :)

Welcome Chris...

what part of Western NY? I can probably wave across Lake Ontario at you...

Hi Chris and welcome from Oz. Will this be your first engine build.?

Thanks Toronto! I'm in Albion, which is directly in the center of Orleans County, which is almost directly in the center of Buffalo and Rochester, which happens to be directly in the center of nowhere! :)

Thanks Herbiev as well! This would indeed be my very first engine build, which is why I would be sourcing out some of the parts from existing engines

welcome! depending on the size you're looking to build, don't forget to look at radio controlled model engine parts. You can get things like valve springs and piston rings that way too, if you're looking to shrink it under motorcycle sizes.

Well I was actually looking at building a pretty large engine compared to most of what I've seen in this forum, I would be using some parts from a 125cc scooter! Specifically I was looking at the piston rings, valves, possibly the guides, and the seals.

The dimensions of this engine would be 2.06 inch bore, 2.25 inch stroke... 1228.9cc!

I would imagine that I could (potentially) use this engine as an actual power plant for something should I ever feel so inclined... Would be really neat to achieve 30-40 horsepower with it, but that is not any manner of priority for me at all. The biggest goal for me is to build something and see it run, something that nobody else I know has ever done :)

Hi Chris,

Welcome from faraway Singapore. Right now, I am in the midst of building a Howell V-2 Gas Engine. So far so good.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

Gus, always cool to talk with someone half a world away! I think I might have seen your post about that engine, I'm gonna take another look for sure :)

Swifty, as far as machinery I don't have much. I'm going to build my own forge to cast the aluminum. My dad has an old school lathe with a 3 and a 4 jaw chuck, but I couldn't tell you much about it. I'm no machining expert that's for sure, but I'm ambitious, I learn quickly, I'm a problem solver, and I have friends who are machinists who can teach and help me. I also have an antique drill press, it's a floor standing machine with a completely cast iron frame (HEAVY!) I'm thinking I can do some work with that...

My friend has access to a few other goodies through his work, a mill and larger lathe for sure.

What I'm really looking forward to the most is just the problem solving aspect of this project, it's like a big puzzle without any pieces!

Latest posts

Back