Helical Gear Cutting Lathe Attachment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck, Looking forward to your next gear, please pictures, and videos. Thank you very much. Larry

cfellows that really is very clever and thanks for sharing.

This is something you've probably already considered, but would positively locating the follow bearing between 2 ramps be of any value, or an unnecessary overcomplication?

bob ward said:
cfellows that really is very clever and thanks for sharing.

This is something you've probably already considered, but would positively locating the follow bearing between 2 ramps be of any value, or an unnecessary overcomplication?

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, I've thought of a fully constrained follower system and it would complicate things. However, something like that would be well considered if you were going to use this device on a regular basis or if you were going to make the plans available for it. It should also probably have some kind of geared drive like a worm gear so the possibility of kickback would be lessened. However, if one keeps his wits about him and focuses on what he is doing with this fixture, it's not really very scary or dangerous.

Chuck

It's really a neat setup, Chuck. Seeing the video really helps sort things out!
I appreciate you putting that up for us. Hope you will show round two, too.

Dean

You give me too many ideas Chuck.
Thanks for sharing.
Gail in NM

GailInNM said:
You give me too many ideas Chuck.
Thanks for sharing.
Gail in NM

That's my problem... too many ideas! :-\

Here's the video of me cutting the 10 degree helical gear which will mate up with the 80 degree gear in the previous video. This gear has an OD of .355" and 12 teeth. The previous gear has an OD of .914" and 6 teeth. I have a few pictures to follow and will later publish a video of the two gears mated up and turning, if they are done as I think they are!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZo0ggLoHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZo0ggLoHI[/ame]

Chuck

As promised, here is a short video of my two helical gears mounted in a fixture which let's me test them together. As you can see, they work very well together, very smooth, no binding or slipping.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG808sAQ90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG808sAQ90[/ame]

I'm now confident that I can make helical gears with my cutting fixture for virtually any angle and number of teeth for sizes up to about 1.25" diameter.

Turns out the math isn't all that complicated. I'll try to provide more details if anyone is interested.

Chuck

Chuck th_wav

I said it before and I'll say it again, WOW! That's terrific.

I'm certainly interested in all the details. Not that I expect to use it in the near future, but you never know.

Jerry

Thanks very much for the new videos, Chuck. Very interesting!

Dean

Chuck, Great work, I, the videos are great, I really like this very much.thank you very much. larry

Chuck; Great work.
Thats using the old head for something besides a hat rack. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Chuck,
Very nice gears, please explain the math to the rest of us gear heads reading this and wondering how to work out the blank sizes.

Dan

Please excuse my ignorance but am I right in assuming that the small gear will not drive the large one?

mklotz said:
Please excuse my ignorance but am I right in assuming that the small gear will not drive the large one?

You would be right... it will not.

Chuck

Very nice, and enlightening. I very much appreciate your sharing the design and execution with us.

Chuck,

Good job!

Do you plan to post plans for your gear pitch fixture?

Thanks for sharing,

SAM

Thanks, all, for the kind words. Here is my first go at some gear documentation. Would appreciate any feedback as to whether this is very meaningful. Also, happy to answer any questions.

e0dfd78f.jpg

cf3b6b53.jpg

cfa997d6.jpg

Latest posts

Back