Head gasket material

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
On my current Webster build, the plans call for a head gasket, preferably from 0.015" copper. I couldn't find any localy, but did come up with a piece of 0.015" brass. Will brass work in this situation?---I know its not as soft as copper.---Brian

Brian what size copper do you need?
McMaster Carr has both copper or tefon in .015 thickness the smallest piece of copper is $20 of Teflon 6; by a foot is $5.
I sent a pm
Tin

Brian Rupnow said:
Where did you buy 0.020" teflon?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#film-(made-with-teflon-ptfe)/=6m4gyt

that's one place I use alot.

Kermit

Kermit said:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#film-(made-with-teflon-ptfe)/=6m4gyt

that's one place I use alot.

Kermit

McMaster Carr will not ship to Canada unless you had an account already set up with them prior to 2 years ago.

Don't use brass, it's hard and fragile/breakable/cracky. If you cannot buy this thin copper sheet, use more thick copper sheet instead.

Brian,
If you want to use copper, check with your local crafts store for copper tooling sheet. I have seen it in small sheets ranging from about 0.004 to 0.018 thick. I bought a small roll of 0.005 years ago that I use. 0.005 is 36 gauge and 0.018 is 26 gauge.

For slightly thicker copper gaskets, I split a short length of 5/8 copper plumbing pipe. After annealing it can be flattened into a sheet about 2 inches wide. Mine measures about 0.024 thick. I use it to make spark and glow plug gaskets.

If you use copper, be sure to anneal it before installing it EACH time. It will work harden when you bolt a head down, so if you remove the head you must anneal it before reinstalling.

Brian,
I don't see why you couldn't use brass for a head gasket as long as you anneal it just like you would do for copper. McMaster Carr sells aramid fiber gasket material as thin as .015". It is pretty tough material and has worked for head gaskets. On the other hand, Jerry Howell designed some beautiful engines, and he didn't use head askets on many of his engines. He used a .005"-.010" cylinder liner projection above the cylinder which was clamped by the head. He told me he never saw one of these leak.
Jeff

This is all far too technical for me.I use brown paper bag material :big:

Latest posts

Back