Having a blast at Cabin fever 2012

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when is the new date for the show? On several occasions I had to stay over Sunday night because the snow was bad on the PA. pike.
gbritnell

The 2013 show dates April 12 setup and auction 13 &14 show. sounds real close to NAMES show dates Hmm
Tin

I got back last night (700 miles driving each way). I drove up Thursday and was at the auction and show Friday and Saturday. it was nice to meet a few HMEM guys.

I sold a few things in the consignment room (must have priced them too low because they went quick), and then got two lots at the auction. First was a digital height gauge (looks to have never been used), plus a $5 box lot with some transfer punches I need. But it also had a Mitutoyo digital caliper that wouldn't turn on. If it's just a dead battery then I got a real bargain. I already have a vernier height gauge, but the digital will be a lot easier to read without squinting.

A main goal of the trip was to pick up my loco boiler from Wayne Godschall, who is local and had a vendor booth. The boiler, smokebox, and smokebox door will give me a lot of work to do in the next few months. I'll have pics of the boiler in my WIP thread later on.

I then went around to various vendors to buy valves of various sorts, plus a casting kit for the bell. I found a piece of aluminum that looks to be good for the steam dome base, plus some hex brass rod for the exhaust nozzle. I also bought a handful of 6" steel rules, since I'm always misplacing the ones I have in the shop. With 7 of them one "ought" to be findable at any given time.

At the end, I "tricked" myself into buying two lots at the semi-silent auction. A box of assorted endmills and a set of corner rounding bits.

Im still on the way home, this year I decided to make it two 5 or 6 hours drive instead of one 11 hour ride.

As everyone else has said it was a great show. The CNC activities were bigger than ever, Our seminar had just under 100 people, one very happy winner of a KX1 mill. We ran it most of the weekend and made lots of chips. Tormach was there with two machines running, both of which sold for show special pricing.

Anxious to get home, lots of new ideas to get to work on.

April 13-14, 2013. It sounds like somebody should have done some better planning. They'll get the east coast guys at Cabin Fever and the midwest guys at NAMES. Too bad!!!
gbritnell

The new April date was clearly a major topic of discussion. Gary is only shifting it because of the risk of running a January show. Remember last year the week after the show the whole mid-Atlantic area got dumped with a couple feet of snow. Since Cabin Fever is really a family operation- just Gary and his son Jarred, they would be wiped out with a big snow. They have over $65K of personal money on the table before the show opens.

The possibilities of an April date are great. For RV owners there will be 300 parking spaces. There will be outdoor running of traction engines, maybe some railroads, maybe steam cars, etc The Saturday night 'beer and BBQ' can be outside in a tent.

The driving there and back will be a lot better, with an extra couple hours of daylight.

I will miss it being in January, since I dont have much else this time of year, but I will be there, and at NAMES, if it continues.

I went to NAMES last year. The Cabin Fever facility is better (larger space, more parking). That said, it's a shame to have them conflict. For me the driving distance is almost identical.

Wow! My first Cabin Fever was amazing. Incredible seeing that much high quality work in one place.
The best part, though, was putting a face to the people on HMEM.
Even though I've only built one engine (Engine made on a Mill), it was fun showing it. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the repair to my engine when the press fit piston "unpressed" itself from the rod. I was holding the rod in a pair of pliers while Scott's (Cheepo45) son tapped it back into the piston with his just-purchased Starrett pin punch and a Chinese adjustable wrench.

I have a bunch of pictures that I'll post tomorrow.

Until then, here's one
HMEMcrew.jpg

Stan

Thanks for the pics Stan!

You have no idea what these images mean to me.

One question.
Who's that old guy in the front row with the hat?
Is that Tin Falcon's grandfather?

Uh Oh, just checked my watch, it says 2012.......

Looking good there Tin! ;)

Thanks for putting up the banner!

Rick

Thanks for the pictures Stan!!!

Nice to have a few different people posting pics from the same event.
You really get to see what interest each person that was at the show!

Nice to see a shot of the full size engines!!!

Andrew

Great pictures...thanks for posting them for those of us that couldn't make the show. The date change will work better for me so hope to be able to attend next year.

Bill

One question.
Who's that old guy in the front row with the hat?
Is that Tin Falcon's grandfather?

Well posibble in theory but not the case. Tin

I was married to a widow, who was pretty as can be.
This widow, had a grown-up daughter,
Who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed.
This made my dad my son-in-law,
And really changed my life.
Now my daughter was my mother,
Cause she was my father's wife.
And to complicate the matter,
Even though it brought me joy,
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.
My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad,
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad.
For, if-if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother.
Of the widow's grown up daughter, who was of course, my stepmother.
Uh huh.
Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run,
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son.
My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue.
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too.
God.
Now, if my wife is my grandmother, I am her grandchild, yeah.
And every time I think of it, heh! Nearly drives me wild.
Cause now I have become, the strangest case you ever saw,
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpaw.
Oh I'm my own grandpaw.
I'm my own grandpaw.
It sounds funny I know, but it really is so,
Oh I'm my own grandpaw.
I'm my own grandpaw.
I'm my own grandpaw.
Talk about incest!
It sounds funny I know, but it really is so,
I'm my own grandpaw.
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/ray_stevens/im_my_own_grandpa.html ]

Great pictures! :) :)

Makes me want to attend next year ... but from California ... just too far :'(!

Thanks for sharing.

Pat H.

I had a good time at the show and saw some really nice engines. From a vendors standpoint sales were low. My sales this year were the lowest they've ever been at Cabin Fever. With the date change we will not be attending as a vendor next year. We will focus our attention on NAMES and the Mid East Model Show.

We had a ton of people at our booth over the weekend and talked to many very nice people. The sales were just not there to support the effort. It might be nice to go next year as a spectator but I will decide that when the time comes.

Many stopped by to see us run the Conley V8 and we had many favorable comments on our hit and miss engine offering. We also had a running Woodpecker hit and miss, a 1/3 scale Galloway and several other running engines to show off our hit n miss kits.

Everytime we fired up the V8 we got a ton of people which was fun!

See you all at NAMES!

Jadecy said:
I had a good time at the show and saw some really nice engines. From a vendors standpoint sales were low. My sales this year were the lowest they've ever been at Cabin Fever. With the date change we will not be attending as a vendor next year. We will focus our attention on NAMES and the Mid East Model Show.

We had a ton of people at our booth over the weekend and talked to many very nice people. The sales were just not there to support the effort. It might be nice to go next year as a spectator but I will decide that when the time comes.

Many stopped by to see us run the Conley V8 and we had many favorable comments on our hit and miss engine offering. We also had a running Woodpecker hit and miss, a 1/3 scale Galloway and several other running engines to show off our hit n miss kits.

Everytime we fired up the V8 we got a ton of people which was fun!

See you all at NAMES!

I am so sorry to hear you won't attend anymore I purchased many different kits from you in the past, I purchased a drillpress kit from you this year

Dave

mgbrv8 said:
I am so sorry to hear you won't attend anymore I purchased many different kits from you in the past, I purchased a drillpress kit from you this year

Dave

What kits do they sell?
Any website link to them??
Buying a kit from a member here would be great!

Andrew

Cabin fever was great. I encourage anyone within driving distance to attend one of the big shows. I had my display set up along side several of the members here . I met even more members and had the opportunity to meet and talk to many of the vendors.
George Bullis of village press
Gary from PM research
Carl and Chris from Littlemachinshop.com
the owner of PMDX cnc boards.
Brian barker from Mach 3
Ron Ginger ran the CNC seminar.

Buying a kit from a member here would be great!
vendors I talked to that are registered members here.
Jerry Howel models was set up I spoke to IIRC roger and his wife he his a member here.
HSSMike owns and runs AJ Warner tools top notch HSS indexable tooling
the owner developer of Dreamcutter who has posted here as Dreamcutter.

Tin

Back