Hasbrouck Engine #6 - Double Size

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

This engine build was introduced (in a way) in my thread on building an old time genny. It will eventually drive the little generator (I hope). I'm starting a new build thread for it, hopefully, I will do a better job of keeping this build log on topic. 8) That other thread meanders more than lame horse on a rocky path.

SO, sew. (needle pulling thread) Here we are. Psst! - post some pictures

Oh yeah! Here's some pictures of where I am so far.

The current group of parts. Some finished some works in progress:

Engine6_07sm.jpg

How they look in operating postions:

Engine6_06sm.jpg

And the current state of readiness on the reason I'm going so slow on my builds right now. The G-daughters new doll house! ;D

Engine6_08sm.jpg

So ends the posting of progress. Wow. Three weeks worth of 'wait' and I only got three pictures? :p

I need some coffee,
Kermit

You have a very nice start on your project Kermit. Double size sounds like a plan, by a man with my eye sight!

Do you have a link to the plans, or a picture of how the engine will look finished?

Would love a little more info. Thanks.

-MB

Kermit said:
hopefully, I will do a better job of keeping this build log on topic.

That would be topic(S) right? Enjoying the engine build but I bet I'm not the only one interested in the 'home' project. ;D

Hey MB Here ya go.

http://hasbrouck.8m.com/eng6.htm

Since they are plans for purchase, I will not post any of them. even a little bit. :)

$12.95 might bribe Ray into 'showing' them to ya. :big:

Thanks for visiting my play house,
Kermit

Zee! You sneaky fellow. Warning! It says :D

I tell ya what. I'll take more photos as I assemble it and put up a little thread about it down in the Break room. Look for it around Christmas time. :p

Thanks for the link Kermit.

Well I'll be.... I see why I was instantly attracted to the pieces parts you showed. Seems to vaguely resemble something I remember finishing last week. :big:

-MB

Well, it wasn't forever, but it has been a few months since the last post was made.

I'm looking for some advice on the two crank bearing housings. In the original smaller scale plans the housing is just a vertical block with a hole in it.
Being double sized, should the bearing block be split and bored, and perhaps even have a ball bearing assy inserted? or would there be no need to split the block if I use a press in bearing assy?

Engine_6 Detail 7_200%sm.jpg

I like to use ball bearings. They can be held in place by a small dab of 600 series Loctite (609,640,680,etc) in a close fit hole so you don't have to make a high precision hole. Just don't get any Loctite in the bearing.

If the bearing blocks can be removed from the base with the crankshaft in them, then there is really no reason to split the blocks except for appearance.

Gail in NM

Hi Kermit. For all practical purposes a pressed in Oilite or bronze bushing will do well and be durable. A set of ball bearings would be more durable but perhaps a little 'over kill'. Either way you could add a split bearing cap if you want to add the detail for 'authentic' purposes.

I almost exclusively use sintered bronze bushings (Oilite's) in my projects. They are very easy to press into reamed holes, and are very inexpensive.

SAE 841 oil impregnated: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=1053&PMITEM=325-7477

Hope this was helpful.

-MB

IMG_0126sm.jpg

IMG_0127sm.jpg

Alright then. Never gonna get anywhere until I start making chips. Speaking of; this 954 Aluminum Bronze is rated a 60 to 65 for machining(brass=100), but it makes perfect little round chips and cuts like a dream with this aluminum roughing type end mill.

So, I'm gonna start by making it to the 3/4 in. thickness, plus .001 or so on both sides. Then see if I can brain storm up some way to make a good edge on a bar without one, so I can square it up all the way. Thinking that once I have two flat faces I can leave a little bit sticking out one end of the vise and side mill it sqaure with the faces then stand it up and do the other end. Turn it back on its face and twist 90deg to put the two sq faces on the vise jaws and end mill a long side; stand it up on that side and do the other long side.
Sound right?

more pics cause i'm excited about all this stuff and took too many of them ;D

IMG_0129sm.jpg

IMG_0128sm.jpg

The spindle housing seemed to be getting too hot- too fast. I loosed the nut by 1/4 turn(gotta turn it like you want to tighten it ;) ) and it seems to be running a bit cooler. The motor however is pretty warm. I'm using high gear about mid throttle. Guess about 1200-1300 RPM. 15 minutes in cutting, 2-3 out of cut. Figured I'd rest it for about 30 min. and finish this one face.

If any of that is sounding like a problem, I'd love to hear whatever anyone has to say.

OH - Um, no idea which way I'll go with the block right now. Feeling the bearing idea, but bushings are old school. I'm undecided as yet! ???

Thanks,
Kermit

That's an X2 mill isn't it?
I have the same heat problem but haven't investigated it yet.
Yeah, gets hot fast.
Seems like I notice it more when I'm milling rather than drilling but that may be because milling time is usually longer.
I'll be curious to see what others say.

Nice to see you're back on the project Kermit. I will look forward to the progress. I haven't built any of Ray's engines (yet), but have admired them, just too many other things on the shelf for now. Keep up the good work!

Bill

zeeprogrammer said:
That's an X2 mill isn't it?
I have the same heat problem but haven't investigated it yet.
Yeah, gets hot fast.
Seems like I notice it more when I'm milling rather than drilling but that may be because milling time is usually longer.
I'll be curious to see what others say.

I'm gonna do some more milling with everything 'as is'. Just to make sure I've got the right spindle nut torque. Then I'm gonna try the gear lash adjustment to see how much quieter I can make the gear train. As for the motor, I'm a little disappointed. My upbringing has learned me a few things about them thar motor things. If it gets so hot that you cannot touch it for 5 full seconds. (above 120-125 F), then, know that its about 50 deg or more above that inside the motor. That's too hot for a motor. The bearings will wear out quickly and the insulation will become brittle and crack. Much shorter useful life.
One option would be a brass/copper, or aluminum heat sink and external cooling fan. Getting the insides of the motor down to 160 F or below will improve its performance and extend its useful life.
Perhaps, a tube of aluminum, cut in half length wise, and having some vertical cooling fins milled into it could be attached like a jacket on the outside of the motor and a small fan mounted on top to direct air down its length.
:D

Hey - now that I've put it into words, that sounds like an excellent idear...
Better start one of those 'project' lists. :big:

b.lindsey said:
Nice to see you're back on the project Kermit. I will look forward to the progress. I haven't built any of Ray's engines (yet),...
Bill
::) Neither have I.

;D. Thanks for the words of encouragement Bill. I'm sure I have the minimum skill set required to do it, but first timer-itis keeps me constantly second guessing myself.

I couldn't be at a better place for getting help though.

:bow: to you all,
Kermit

Latest posts

Back