Hare & Forbes, Titan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisa49

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
Has anyone experience with either a H & F AL50 or AL51 and the Titan TL210V.
Of course the Sieg C4 fits into the mix.
I have read in the forum mixed reviews of the Sieg machines.
Finding an accurate tight machine seems to be finding the best of the small
Chinese machines.
Once again thanks for the advice in this forum. I due to retire and want to buy a machine that will offer the properties needed.
Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
I'm currently trying to make the same decision as you. I also briefly looked at the AL320G which appears to be a popular lathe, and the AL60 (a Seig C6) however I have very limited space in my workshop and a bench space of 1000x600mm max. so these two are, for me, too big.

H&F no longer sell the AL50, I had read somewhere that they and their customers weren't happy with the quality of the AL50 so have replaced it with the AL51 which is almost identical but apparently from another manufacturer (tho I now can't find where I read this. I think it was on the aussie woodwork forum *shrug*)

For me the Sieg C4, although rather more expensive than other machines of similar size, is winning out for quite a number of reasons.
However, there appears to be only two sources within Australia for the C4:
Carbatec has the C4, 410mm between centres. It was on sale (ends today) for $1668(incl. GST), normal price apparently $2005 http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-c4-metalworking-lathe_c19802
Ausee have a special version of the 'SC4' which is normally also 410mm BC, but theirs is 510mm BC. Priced at $1799 http://www.ausee.com.au/shop/category.aspx?catid=51
I wish H&F stocked the C4.

As far as I can tell, the C4 and SC4 are identical. Apparently the C4 was the first of the brushless lathes in the Sieg range. When Sieg started offering the older 'C' model lathes and 'X' model mills with new brushless motors as 'SC' and 'SX', they simply renamed the C4 to SC4 to fit in with their new naming convention.

The Ausee long bed version is appealing, but realistically, in almost a decade of owning a Sieg C3 I have never once wished I had more room between centres.
I had planned to visit Carbatec here in Perth yesterday to purchase a C4 on special, but they shut at 1pm and I got stuck doing more boring things. They are not open on Sundays, so seem's I have missed the special price :(

Last edited:
Dennis and Simon. I have an AL50GA I bought from H&F about 8 years ago. I have had no problems with it apart from not being able to use it as I now live in a unit without a workshop facility. I have had the lathe stored for the last two years in a container waiting for something to happen to build a workshop. I don't think that the lathe will be used again. Bit of a shame as I outfitted it with good tools and tailstock drill chuck.

Hello Simon,
I just checked the machine specs.
Titan 450 watts
Is it possible to repower the small machines?
SC4 hi torque 1000 watts
The Sieg also has power cross feed.
Down side, no face plate, 4 jaw chuck or traveling steady.
Possibly $2, 000 all up.
AL51 750 watts, complete with all attachments.
I think the AL51 may be the way to go.
Hope all goes well,
regards
Dennis

Hello to all.

Just wondering if anyone ended up purchasing the AL51?

With all the accessories that are included it defiantly seams the way to go.

Cheers
Ethan

Latest posts

Back