C-4 Lathe Observation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
As some of you already know, I upgraded to the Seig C-4 lathe. I've had the chance to put it through its paces and I'm still pleased with my purchase. I'm also quite pleased with the SX3 mill, which compliments the C-4 quite nicely. For those who are considering an upgrade from the C2 and X2 machines, I can highly recommend both of these machines. Both are much more sturdy, accurate and powerful.

Today I went in search of modifications that others have made to the C-4 lathe. Any increase in capability interests me, as my poor C2 lathe knows all too well. If you've owned a C2 mini lathe, you know there are a huge number of sites offering improvements you can make to them. I figured the C4 had been out long enough to have gained a few such sites of its own, but to my surprise..... it was almost... well.... like the sound of crickets chirping.

I spotted mention of a tumbler modification for the threading gears and another guy who changed out those accursed slot head gib screws, but that was about it. There were several extensive reviews and a couple of forum threads, which to my surprise were all but totally positive as they related to the machine. That alone is absolutely rare among machinist sites.... even if you forget that these machines are evil Chinese iron.

Let's see.... good reviews, next to zero negatives on the machinist forums and a total lack of "gotta do" modifications. The fact that even a year after being released to the public there are no lists of required mods seems to speak volumes. Sounds like Sieg just might have managed to hit a home run.... but then I already knew that from personal experience.

Just thought I'd share what I found to be an interesting observation.

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve. who's selling the C4 these days? Was this a local purchase for you?

Cheers,
Phil

Phil
I live within 5 miles of Travers Tool, here in South Carolina, so I managed to duck all shipping charges, plus it was on sale. They were the exclusive US vendor the last time I heard, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I almost balked at the price, but being able to see and run it before I bought overcame that in a hurry. It's proven to be one heck of a bang for buck machine.

Steve

I'm really glad to hear that the C4 seems to be a solid buy. I have mine sitting on the floor of my office (taking up a good bit of space) until Christmas arrives....Santa agreed to do this for last year, this year, and took care of my birthday's as well :) I can hardly wait.

On a more serious note, Travers was the only Canadian Supplier I could find, it was on sale for about $600 off regular price. But shipping!!! I could have bought a 7X12 for the shipping charges.

Latest posts

Back