Harbor Freight calipers.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
It is my observation that the quality of the on sale Harbor freight calipers has gone down.

I purchased 10 of the digital 6" mostly for Christmas gifts. I did keep a couple and they seemed rough.
Yesterday,after vising the Hagley in Delaware I stopped by the harbor freight store and picked up several items, including a dial caliper. I love digital calipers but they do like batteries. It seems like the battery is dead when you need it the most.
The Dial calipers are #66541 and while smoother, they are a little on tight side. my wife's first comment was the edges are rough! Maybe the second comment after what do you need another one of those for? Anyway my opinion of these tools have gone from good value, to cheap but usable.

I know we can not compare these to mitutoyo brown and sharp or starrett but these were one HF tool I felt comfortable recommending. Not it is more like buyer beware inspect before leaving parking lot.

I purchased a cart for work a couple weeks ago from the same store the wheels are about to fall off after one use.
Horrible freight indeed.

There are some things I still have a use for grinding wheels spring loaded center punch dead blow hammers . it is not all junk but the percentage seems to be swinging to the junk side of things.

My intention is not to down this store. I know experience an opinions differ greatly from good value to junk.

caravat emptor -Buyer beware. do not expect what you do not inspect.
Tin

I own a couple of them myself, I have one that gains .004" when over 4" Not cool!! The other ones seem ok, but like you said.....

Be careful with Digital Calipers around them new curly que light bulbs as sometimes they do funny things to the readings. Hold the Caliper up to one of them bulbs and open and close the caliper a few times and see what happens. I have had the readings change. I do NOT use a digital caliper any more.

Interesting have not had any real bad experience with digital calipers.
I do not expect dead on accuracy +- .002.
will have to try it around a cf bulb.
tin

I expect with this stuff quality varies with batch to batch day of the week produced and how close to Chinese holidays.
I have also told folks in the past that calipers are for getting a close reading.
if your tolerances are +-.005 calipers are fine. for accurate readings use micrometers.
Tin

It is my observation that the quality of the on sale Harbor freight calipers has gone down.

I purchased 10 of the digital 6" mostly for Christmas gifts. I did keep a couple and they seemed rough.
Yesterday,after vising the Hagley in Delaware I stopped by the harbor freight store and picked up several items, including a dial caliper. I love digital calipers but they do like batteries. It seems like the battery is dead when you need it the most.
The Dial calipers are #66541 and while smoother, they are a little on tight side. my wife's first comment was the edges are rough! Maybe the second comment after what do you need another one of those for? Anyway my opinion of these tools have gone from good value, to cheap but usable.

I know we can not compare these to mitutoyo brown and sharp or starrett but these were one HF tool I felt comfortable recommending. Not it is more like buyer beware inspect before leaving parking lot.

I purchased a cart for work a couple weeks ago from the same store the wheels are about to fall off after one use.
Horrible freight indeed.

There are some things I still have a use for grinding wheels spring loaded center punch dead blow hammers . it is not all junk but the percentage seems to be swinging to the junk side of things.

My intention is not to down this store. I know experience an opinions differ greatly from good value to junk.

Tin

As far as battery life is concerned, do your self a favor an buy SR44 batteries instead of LR44 cells. The LR44 cells are alkaline batteries. Their voltage falls off gradually until they don't work anymore. The SR44 batteries are silver oxide. They hold a more or less constant voltage until they're dead. You can get SR44's at Radio Shack.

The HF calipers are a big dissapointment lately. I bought a set of their extended jaw units. It looked like the beam was ground with a belt sander!

Also, the HF and most other cheap calipers aren't true absolue units. That said, they lose their zero. That had burned me a bunch of times...

Now, I use my B&S dial caliper exclusively.

John

walmart also sells SR-44 batteries AKA Everready 357. but I refuse to pay there prices. I buy batteries here : http://www.sr44.com/ I buy 25 at a time . current price is $40 for 25 with free shipping. I learned the lesson with LR 44s not the same.
I am in the habit of constantly checking zero. the 6" ones have been fine so far but my 4" ones I keep in my tool bag have tricked me a couple times that is part of the reason I recheck zero. the HF digital mics are a real pain when they lose zero. not as fast and easy to re - zero.
thanks for the comments
tin

Honestly it was never there in the first place. I refuse to buy measuring equipment from HF.
It would be interesting to get further feedback on those ten.
Yesterday,after vising the Hagley in Delaware
Silly me what is a Hagley?
I stopped by the harbor freight store and picked up several items, including a dial caliper. I love digital calipers but they do like batteries.
Solar solves that problem. I have such a set at work and absolutely live them, never a power problem and no short comings like dial type calipers.

Having said that I have battery powered cAlipers from the same company at home. Batteries suck as does my ability to remember to shut them off. Sadly that set needs to go back for repair too.
It seems like the battery is dead when you need it the most.
I'm not sure they have gotten worst over time they really where crap to begin with. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to get involved in a rush to the bottom. In the end one or two quality instruments goes farther than ten or twenty pieces of junk. It is very much a false economy.
Honestly I could never recommend this stuff. There is a level of quality devices between HF and Starrett. Sure you pay a bit more but you do get a bit more for your money.
Horrible freight indeed.
While I reject the place for precision tools, machinery and otherwise expensive stuff they do have stuff worth buying. However if it costs more than $25 I have to think real hard about the purchase.
HF grinding wheels - you must like the dangerous life. I've been burnt one too many times at HF, I only buy things there that have an otherwise good reputation. That is a limited part of their catelog, the rest is junk.
No the general opinion, at least around here, is that they move a lot of junk. Not everything of course but the pattern is pretty clear.
Tin
Or simply come up with a solid discipline when buying from the store. Like I said before, no precision tools nor expensive machinery. The low cost of the machinery is the result of "cost cutting" that many other sources don't demand from their suppliers.

Frankly shady Internet suppliers have stronger respect for the customer than HF.

Well wizard69 like I said the opinion of HF tools varies and you are entitled to your opinion as long as it is presented in a respectful manner and it mostly was.

when I get a chance I will ask the recipients of the 8 or so digital calipers I gave away. I expect most of the time the tool will be in a tool box . And I believe they will work for said recipients.

The Hagley is the Hagley museum the partial restoration of the original DuPont gunpowder mills on the Brandywine river north side of Wilmington DE.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f49/brandywine-river-powder-mills-20384/

The grinding wheels I buy from Harbor freight were actually cutting disks for the 4 1/2 in grinder I do have a couple of there grinding wheels for the grinder as well. I have never had a problem with one breaking while in use. I wear a leather apron and double eye protection and gloves.

For my tool grinder I use Norton white wheels.

The general opinion on HF tools varies from product to product.
If your option of HFT products is mostly junk I respect that . But also respect the fact that some people believe some products are a good value. And please do not try to ague that my opinion is wrong.
I happen to be happy with much of my HFT purchases.

I offer recommendations or lack thereof based on my experiences.

tin

I have several HF calipers. I understand you get what you pay for. I take a jo block or mic standard with me when I buy one to make sure of the accuracy. Sometimes I go through the whole pile!
I take out the battery if I'm not going to use them for a while-they will kill batteries even when they aren't being used.
I live close to the HF store, so I have a lot of their tools-some of them are pretty rough but you can't beat the price!
cheepo45

I understand you get what you pay for. I take a jo block or mic standard with me when I buy one to make sure of the accuracy. Sometimes I go through the whole pile!

The problem with that is they are shrink wrapping the packages now . you used to be able to pull off the sleeve and try before you buy.

IMHO they used to be good . not great, not excellent, but good. the last couple purchases not so much.
Tin

Well wizard69 like I said the opinion of HF tools varies and you are entitled to your opinion as long as it is presented in a respectful manner and it mostly was.
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful but I've had several bad experiences with HF. As such it pays to express them to balance the discussion.
when I get a chance I will ask the recipients of the 8 or so digital calipers I gave away. I expect most of the time the tool will be in a tool box . And I believe they will work for said recipients.

The Hagley is the Hagley museum the partial restoration of the original DuPont gunpowder mills on the Brandywine river north side of Wilmington DE.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f49/brandywine-river-powder-mills-20384/

The grinding wheels I buy from Harbor freight were actually cutting disks for the 4 1/2 in grinder I do have a couple of there grinding wheels for the grinder as well. I have never had a problem with one breaking while in use. I wear a leather apron and double eye protection and gloves.
Interesting. I have up on buying cutting disks locally and now order them online from which ever house has a good deal going for brand name wheels. I've avoid HF for such wheels due to the rather lackluster performance of other stuff purchased there.
For my tool grinder I use Norton white wheels.

The general opinion on HF tools varies from product to product.
If your option of HFT products is mostly junk I respect that .
I will buy some stuff there but I literally just had another buying experience at a local HF. I'm really making an effort to cut back on business with them as it isn't worth the grief.
But also respect the fact that some people believe some products are a good value. And please do not try to ague that my opinion is wrong.
I'm not really sure how I came off that way. My point is shopping at HF is sometimes not worth the grief you have to put up with.
I happen to be happy with much of my HFT purchases.

I offer recommendations or lack thereof based on my experiences.

tin
Likewise. Id rather be in a position of reporting excellent result when it comes to doing business with an organization. With HF I can't do this Ian's this is the result of purchases both local and mail order over years. It is very much a buyer be very careful operation.

I took a chance on this set of tool boxes a while ago and I like them pretty well so far..(the red boxes) They are not snap-on quality but I didnt pay 10K for them either !! The blue set of boxes are for lathe and mill tooling now lol.. I also bought a 4 inch porta-band from them that I only use now and then but it works fine.

photo.jpg

Do not know how to quote
"Be careful with Digital Calipers around them new curly que light bulbs as sometimes they do funny things to the readings"

Interesting observation

I got those cheap DRO scales and they jump 0.1" all over multiple times.
I will experiment turning off the lights and see if they are more stable.

I do not have CFL nearby but have AC powered LED bulb. Same thing, they all contain elctronic ballast that may interfere.

I have not tried the HF metal tool boxes.

I do have one of the wood machinist chests . IMHO good bang for the buck . I got a 40% off deal so paid $ 60. I paid twice that for my sons grizzly box although it is bigger with more drawers. Not a Gershner but not a Gershner price either.
Am fortunate to have found a deal on a Kennedy box used and some new craftsman work benches with lots of drawers.

HF does have some decent stuff but probably not best to buy blind. touch feel look inspect before you buy. and read reviews if you can learn from others experience.
Tin

I have a couple of the HF digital calipers - maybe I have been lucky, but they have worked fine for me. I checked them against a micrometer and they were spot on. I also picked up some SR44 batteries cheap at HF - haven't had them long enough to say whether they are any good or not.

About the interference from a fluorescent lamp: Any electrical equipment put out an electromagnetic field, and since the digital micrometers are electrical I could see how they could pick up interference. I don't know that I would say this is a defect of the digital calipers - I had a similar experience with a digital camera.

I live near a HF so I go there quite a bit. In my experience they have a range of stuff from low to medium quality - not any premium stuff that I have seen, but that is not their market. I do often find that what I buy can be improved with a bit a modification and tweaking - I actually enjoy doing this.

Like the man says, if you want Starret quality, don't go to HF, but for a home machinist on a tight budget they can be a valuable resource.

I have a couple of the HF digital calipers - maybe I have been lucky, but they have worked fine for me. I checked them against a micrometer and they were spot on. I also picked up some SR44 batteries cheap at HF - haven't had them long enough to say whether they are any good or not.
We don't have HF here in UK, but we do have various sources of inexpensive tools.
Some years ago, long before the cheap versions became available, I purchased a Mitutoyo digital calliper, which behaved faultlessly until a couple of months ago, when, after replacing the battery, it started switching itself off at random times.
Despite replacing the battery again, it insisted that the battery still needed replacing.
I also have a couple of cheap, noname, callipers, which accept the rejected batteries without complaint.
By chance I discovered that batteries are not created equal. The Mitutoyo wants SR44s, and I purchased a packet of 10 that were advertised as being compatible. It turns out that proper SR44s are silver oxide and have a voltage of 1.55; "compatibles" are alkaline with a voltage of 1.5 - just 0.05 volts less. The noname callipers are quite happy with 1.5v, but the Mitutoyo doesn't like them - I gave it a 1.55v battery and it's working fine again.

Harbor freight its an amazing store for someone on a budget. I'm also very hard on my tools. I try to baby all of my precision stuff, but my automotive and fabrication tools get abused regularly. Angle grinders are awesome too. I've killed a couple name brand angle grinders from excessive use so I bought the 20 dollar one from hf and the 2 year warranty. I've killed 3 so far and just bring it in and exchange it. Its like anything else. If you buy something you don't know much about you're potentially shooting yourself in the foot. I also but a lot off bench grinding wheels, buffers and brushes. Their shop rags and tap and die sets aren't really worth the headache imo. I got their sawzall for demo work and after very extended use, its still tuning like a champ. Is funny that tools have almost created a political niche. instead of liberals and conservatives, you have snap on versus pittsburgh. Meanwhile s & k has taken a seat on the fence. : p

Latest posts

Back