Greetings from Lower Alabama (LA)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAM in LA

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself. I am Sam and I live in Lower Alabama (LA). I have been lurking in the shadows for a while and have read as many of the posts that I could. I have learned so much and am awestruck by the craftsmanship, complexity and creative ways that various machining operations are accomplished.
Recently, I acquired a 15 year old Shop Task Lathe/Mill. I am the 3rd or 4th owner. The machine was in pretty sorry shape when it arrived. One of the previous owners started to replace the Lathes AC motor with a DC Motor with a solid state variable speed drive. I scoured the web and found a wiring diagram and completed the installation. The Mills AC motor had a blown capacitor and the centrifugal switch was stuck.

Mechanically, what a mess. The gear drives were binding up, the spindle was wobbly, the tail stock was stuck and the cross head was bound up in both the x and y axis. I disassembled the majority of the machine and cleaned everything up and painted it. I draw filed all of the gibbs and wet sanded them smooth and flat. The lead screw was bent where the drive gear attached. I was able to straighten it. Various fasteners were broken or the threads were striped. I still need to replace the spindle bearings, they sound rough, and would like to replace the bushings on the lead and cross-slide screws with bearings.
Yesterday, I finally made some chips. I faced and center drilled a piece of CS round stock and put it in between centers. My goal was to align the tail stock and head stock centers. I made a cleanup cut along the length and found that it had a .020” taper over 10 inches. The best I could correct to was 0.0015” with 0.003” run out.

Today I decided that I was going to replace the missing knobs on various levers. Seemed like a simple enough task. I knew what I wanted and had a piece of brass to use. I mentioned earlier that the lathe came with some tooling. There were a few ½ “, 5/16” and 3/8” tool bits along with a cutoff tool holder. None of the tools when placed it the holder were at the correct elevation. I ended up putting together different shims to use with each of the tools. I do believe that I will be purchasing a quick change tool holder after Christmas if Santa doesn't bring me one. The internal thread was 6 x 1.0 and of course all of my drills are inch sizes. When I looked up the tap drill size I misread the chart and drilled the first one to large. It took me most of the day, but I did finish 5 of them. When I finish repair my machine I plan to try and build some engines.
Thanks for listening.

Tapered Low Res.jpg

Before Low Res.jpg

Sam,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Sam.

wEc1
Sounds like you have brought your machine back from the dead. I’am sure you will treat it better than the previous owners.
Regards Dave

Welcome about Sam, enjoy the trip!

Welcome to HMEM, Sam. That's going to be a nice machine when you get it finished. Of course, you must be about exhausted!

By the way, is there a significant cultural difference between Lower Alabamians and Upper Alabamians? :big:

Chuck.

cfellows said:
Welcome to HMEM, Sam. That's going to be a nice machine when you get it finished. Of course, you must be about exhausted!

By the way, is there a significant cultural difference between Lower Alabamians and Upper Alabamians? :big:

Chuck.

Chuck,

It has been a real learning experience overhauling this machine.

I am not aware of any significant cultural differences between the Upper and Lower Alabamians. We may have a bit more mildew between our toes near the coast.

I am looking forwarded to making something besides parts for this machine.

I am not aware of any significant cultural differences between the Upper and Lower Alabamians. We may have a bit more mildew between our toes near the coast.

Isn't it something to do with the finger count?

tel said:
Isn't it something to do with the finger count?

I have heard that the further north you go up in the hills that your mother could also be your fathers sister.

:noidea:

Latest posts

Back