Greetings from an Aussie in Finland!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizza

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here :D

I'm an Australian living in Finland, thinking about resuming a hobby! I bought a Clisby lathe years ago when I was at university and built a few accessories and a small compressed air wobbler engine with it before life took its crazy twists and turns (including moving country several times, getting married, buying a house, etc etc!) so thats in storage at my parents' place now, on the other side of the planet. Next time I'm home I'll probably ship it over, its quite entertaining as a toy lathe.

Anyway, fast forward to the present! We're about to move into our new house, and I have a room dedicated to me - "the hobby room" as its known at the moment. My other primary hobbies are woodworking (with a distinct bent towards luthiery) and RC airplanes, so a decent chunk of the room will be occupied by my (hand tool only) woodworking bench, but I reckon I can squeeze in a dedicated space for a lathe there - finally I think I can resume my hobby!

Plan so far is to buy a Sieg SC3 7x14 - one of the new ones with the brushless motor. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to dedicate any space for a drill press or milling machine, so I will probably buy the vertical milling attachment. Any advice is most welcome! I should be able to dedicate space for a semi-permanent benchtop drill press or mill, but it'd have to be light and compact enough that I could stow it under my woodworking bench when I don't need it for a project. Any suggestions for machines that might fill that role?

This looks like a really great forum that I wish had existed back when I bought my Clisby lathe! I'm really looking forward to participating and building some of the great plans on here :)

As an aside - anyone got any nice ideas for things to make for SWMBO? I find its much easier to avoid rolled eyes if I make her something nice every once in a while ;)

Tristan

Hi Tristan and welcome to HMEM. Sounds like the hobby room may need to be expanded soon to handle all you want to do, and getting involved with little engines can be very addictive on its own ;). As for a mini mill, not sure how much access you have to them from where you are, but you might consider a Tagi or Sherline...not as big or heavy as the Sieg's, but could be hidden away when not needed. Enjoy your time here...would love to see pictures of the "room" once you get it all set up too.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome Tristan to the forum.
ironman (Ray)

Tristan,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

welcome to the forum .
As an aside - anyone got any nice ideas for things to make for SWMBO? I find its much easier to avoid rolled eyes if I make her something nice every once in a while
You learn fast young padwan.
several years ago I bought a south bend lathe with the wife's blessings .The following Christmas I machined a set of brass candlestick s for her. Came from the same place I got the lathe.
Rudy K would sometimes have plans for whimsical stuff. A nutcracker comes to mind. My wife even got out in the shop and made here own steam engine heart shaped. .
Make her one of these.
normal_Rosie_2.JPG

Tin

welcome and enjoy.
As for the femme fatale make her a diamond or gold item ...can be got at any corner jewel store. Just make a pile of cash and place on the shaper(store counter) and it will instantly turn into an item of use. ;D
Failing that just do what has been suggested above. Either will work I have found
Cheers
Pete

Welcome Trizza,

I remember a trizza who had a clisby lathe page when I was researching machine tool purchases. Was that yours? If it was , I enjoyed it.

! Anyway, welcome and I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Cheers,
Nickle

Gosh, whats an Ozzie doing in Finland Tristan? Slight change in sunlight levels! ;D Welcome to the forum wEc1

Vic.

Hi and welcome Tristan from a fellow aussie (inOz)

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Nickle said:
I remember a trizza who had a clisby lathe page when I was researching machine tool purchases. Was that yours? If it was , I enjoyed it.
Yep, that was mine! I'm amazed anyone remembers it. I had good fun with that little thing before life got in the way. Its a fun toy. I even managed to machine a couple of steel bells for outrunner electric motors with it - needless to say I had to take VERY small bites.

Omnimill said:
Gosh, whats an Ozzie doing in Finland Tristan? Slight change in sunlight levels! ;D
In the expat community around these parts its known as "Hot Blonde Syndrome" ;)

Back