Got my machining and CNC "Certificates of Competence" !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChooChooMike

Reaction score
WHOO-HOOO !!! :big: ;D :big: ;D

Celebrate Celebrate !!

I finished all the course work last June at a local community college to complete the Certificate of Competence for Machining and for CNC. Spent the last 4-ish years taking shop classes. At least my MSEE came in handy :p, got to skip the shop math (basic geometry/trig/etc) class and blew off the beginning CNC class.

Of course that doesn't really mean squat ..... since I've done very little CNC work and machining is just a hobby :D :p, but what the heck, it's 2 pieces of paper to showcase my (IN)-competence around machines.

Hmmm, now this community college is calling them :
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students who complete the prescribed program with a 2.0 grade point average.
A Certificate of Achievement with Honors is awarded to students who complete the prescribed program with a 3.0 grade point average.
A Certificate of Achievement with High Honors is awarded to students who complete the prescribed program with a 3.5 grade point average or above.

My transcript only says Certificate of Competency, since I got a 4.0 GPA, it should probably be Certificate of Achievement with High Honors :eek: I may have to get that updated, certainly sounds more impressive !!! :big:

A year or 2 ago the teacher was asking for input on what they should rename these "completion" vs "competence" vs "????" certificates. They were/are trying to dumb them down. A C/2.0 GPA is certainly not an achievement in my book, more like just skating by ....

Mike

Congratulations,
You should get the Certificate of Achievement with High Honors!! :bow: :bow:
We will now be bothering you more than ever with all sorts of questions! The Wizard of the Emerald City did not have such lofty knowledge and accreditation.

It is quite an achievement to stick to something for four loong years, without quiting. I have seen many start that coursework, few finished!
Regards,
Fred

Hey, Mike, that's great. Congratulations and well done. Bring your diploma to the next club meeting (along with a Nebuchadnezzar of champagne so we can celebrate).

I presume that plans are already afoot to CNC engrave a suitable frame of bronze.

Thanks guys :)

pelallito said:
Congratulations,
You should get the Certificate of Achievement with High Honors11 :bow: :bow:
We will now be bothering you more than ever with all sorts of questions! The Wizard of the Emerald City did not have such lofty knowledge and accreditation.

I don't know diddly about machining .... :D, just tiny bit more then the average person on the street. I can't hold a candle to most of the folks here. Hmmm, maybe if I build a flame-licker then I can use the candle :D ::)

It is quite an achievement to stick to something for four loong years, without quiting. I have seen many start that coursework, few finished!
Regards,
Fred

Didn't start out with a cert. in mind, just sort of evolved after taking a few classes and then realizing I could do all the course work 1 class a semester in the eves. Had hoped to finish earlier, but other life stuff got in the way. Better late then never !

Yeah, there were lots of folks who started shop class(es), then dropped out.

mklotz said:
Hey, Mike, that's great. Congratulations and well done. Bring your diploma to the next club meeting (along with a Nebuchadnezzar of champagne so we can celebrate).

I presume that plans are already afoot to CNC engrave a suitable frame of bronze.

Now that's a thought ! I still don't have the papers, but a nice CNC frame would be cool ! Or course I'll have to do the programming myself :p ::)

Mike

Congratulations Mike, So when do you start the teaching job? :D

What's next on the cards? a bit of practical application? ;)

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
Congratulations Mike, So when do you start the teaching job? :D

I don't think that quite qualifies me to teach :p Though I was a technical trainer for about 1-1/2 years and was pretty darn good at it !

What's next on the cards? a bit of practical application? ;)

I certainly hope so ! Got 3 engines running and am sitting on the other one. Maybe I'll get that one polished up and assembled this weekend !

Planning on making the Nutty engine that Kactiguy came up with and wareagle also made !

Got a stack of engine casting kits waiting for me ..... and untold #'s of plans too.

I caught the steam disease a few years ago and it won't let go :D

Mike

Well looking at your last post it is obvious that there was one slight floor in the educational system that was applied.... If you sit on the engine it will never run.... Probably be damn uncomfortable too!! :big:

Yer, I like the Nutty too, I found a 1" dia cut off stainless bolt on a beach the other week (bout 3.5" long) and it made me think of that engine.... so I brought it home with a view to adapt it ;D ... Haven't touched it yet... so many other things to do first!

But I did get in my shop last night(first time in ages.... fell asleep Thursday instead!! ::) ) made a couple of gifts and I'm a happy man again :)

I'll look forward to seeing your builds Mike, I wandered upon your finger engine on ulube the other evening, looks good to me ;)
Have you got numbers 1 and 2 mounted for display yet?

Sounds like your going to have a lot of fun in the near future, we will I hope see all the results?

Ralph.

Okay, you're in deep doodoo. With that paperwork, you are now the Ofishul Guy for Answering Questions and Questioning Answers. You may perform blessings and last rites for engines, officiate at first steam (or air) ceremonies and their electric engine equivelents, adjust anything adjustable and a few things not adjustable, pontificate at length and breadth, cause flywheels to achieve perfect balance and bearings to have absolutely no friction at a single glance, and a engage in great number of other functions.

Actually, all of this comes with the territory so "may" is the polite way of saying "shall". ;D

Seriously, congrats, Mike. And, as a side note from someone who used to work in the academic arena, a 2.0 barely quailifies as completion as far as I'm concerned. The only thing "achieved" is managing to not fail the course. YOur 4.0 rates special recognition since it is a rare accomplishment. You should be proud of it.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Back