Going round the bend - an Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Job Arnold

Another baffle machine running, a great bit of work. :big: :big: :big:

Stew

PS

Whats makes it an even more satifying engine for you is that you used tools:- Rotary Table, and boring head that you have made your self:- very well done indeed, you should justly feal proud.

Stew

Well done Arnold, I thought that video was going to be you running it in with a motor or on the lathe but to my surprise I clicked it and you had a runner!

Great project, cheers

Nick

Thanks Gail :) - The refinements are done as well now.

John, thank you :) - building it was relatively easy, but it wasn't easy to get running - especially today after final assembly. I've got the oil splatters to prove it ;D

Thanks Carl - I'll try to stretch my next project a little longer ;D - now, what will it be ???

Jim, thanks :) - I'd actually recommend the multi-part piston assemblies now ;)

Thanks Olli - Loctite would work as well - but somehow I don't yet entirely trust the local equivalents I get :big:

Stew, thank you :) - and another thank you for your revised plans for the engine. I do enjoy my home-made tools; somehow it just feels more special to use them rather than bought items ;D

Thanks Nick :D - as an aside, I wouldn't recommend running this engine in using external power, as it will not run in properly due to it's "peculiar" design...

This morning I finished the column:
normal_IMG_1791.JPG

Then I finished the flywheel; I felt it was too heavy, so I drilled out more holes in the circumference, and thinned it out a bit; it's still too heavy, but should work. The flywheel center was bored out for a light press fit on the cylinder, and the lot pressed together. Then followed quite a bit of elbow grease with files, emery and scotch-brite to get the parts presentable.

Finally assembled, and now complete, this is what it looks like:

normal_IMG_1795.JPG

normal_IMG_1794.JPG

I had a bear of a time getting it running again - I suspect mostly because of the heavy flywheel. But run it does ;D - although it requires a bit more air than my little compressor is capable to constantly supply, so the run is not very long before it stops at about 15psi:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bD_QPQwd7E[/ame]

While this was a fairly simple engine to build, it required extreme accuracy - and as such was a big challenge. Seeing it run makes the effort worthwhile though ;D

Once again, many thanks to Stew, Bogs, and others who shared their own experiences and recommendations for getting this engine to run.

Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold. Beautiful! Congratulations on your successful build. :bow:

Someday.... I will build one too. Too many planed projects, and not enough time! :shrug:

-MB

That's brill Arnold,be having a go myself soon,it looks like fun.
Don

Congratulations Arnold - Yet another great build. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Congats from here as well Arnold - I've had photocopies of the original Popular Mechanics blueprints & article for at least 30 years, but never got around to attempting one!

Very nice engine!
Congratulations!

Then followed quite a bit of elbow grease

Was I the only one that spotted this pun?!

Nice work Arnold, looks really impressive.

Nick

Good job Arnold, nice looking and a runner!

Vic.

MB, Don, Bob, Tel, nfk, Nick & Vic - thank you very much :)

MB, Don & Tel - it's a fun engine to build - but just a tad frustrating to get going; but definitely worth a go. I also had this one in my sights for a project for much later; it was a purely impulsive decision that got me started on it so soon :big:

Good catch Nick ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Gee Arnold, you got this one done so fast I nearly missed the whole thing. You did a very
nice job on it, and it's turned out to be one of the best looking of its type. Nice work, man!

;D Thank you Dean.

it's turned out to be one of the best looking of its type
Well, thank you ;D - but I'm not too sure of that - I feel it's a little bit too "chunky". Makes a great paper-weight and conversation piece in my office for now though :)

Kind regards, Arnold

Looks great, Arnold. Wouldn't change a thing!

Chuck

Congratulations I'm new to posting here, I have been reading for a while engine looks class I never saw one before.

Thanks Chuck :)

Welcome Fingers - and thanks :) - Theres been quite a few of these built by members; in fact I greatly benefited from their shared wisdom while building it. I've found a lot of gold in older posts on HMEM; the Search option is invaluable!

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back