Ghosty's "V" Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Thanks guys, will keep moving on. Got the timing gears and cams done.

Cheers
Andrew

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Hi All,
Not a lot done today, messing around with the brother in laws band saw, got a bi metal band for it, had to repair the drive wheel, rubber band had come off. Cut the 1" alloy bar stock for the engine frame with Oldhams lub on the band it worked good. Better that using a hacksaw.
Brother in law used it to build model trawlers, and gave up after the band came of and went back to cutting the wood by hand.

Cheers
Andrew

20170103_163231.jpg

20170103_163234.jpg

20170103_164018.jpg

20170103_164742.jpg

Hi All,
Made a start on the engine frame, after pining and bolting two 25mm thick plates together, I started the machining of the engine frame. I trial fitted the crank and cams, I will be making a new crank, just not happy with it.

Cheers
Andrew

20170102_105149.jpg

20170102_114436.jpg

20170102_141459.jpg

20170102_144347.jpg

20170102_160424.jpg

20170103_131427.jpg

20170103_132712.jpg

20170103_144319.jpg

20170103_150416.jpg

I do hope you are not using oilite bearings in your con rods.

There is a reason for it.

Oilite bearings are not solid, but sintered, made up of tiny balls compressed together, great for rotary bushes but I doubt if they will stand up to explosive forces pushing down onto them mounted into the con rods in your engine, they are liable to just shatter into tiny pieces.
I had enough trouble carefully parting them off to make thrust washers for rotary tables, they just disintegrate before your eyes.

John

Last edited:
Beginners question here.
Seeing that it is a 2 cylinder will you need twice as big flywheel to carry the momentum? or how do you calculate that?

Jon

I do hope you are not using oilite bearings in your con rods.

There is a reason for it.

Oilite bearings are not solid, but sintered, made up of tiny balls compressed together, great for rotary bushes but I doubt if they will stand up to explosive forces pushing down onto them mounted into the con rods in your engine, they are liable to just shatter into tiny pieces.
I had enough trouble carefully parting them off to make thrust washers for rotary tables, they just disintegrate before your eyes.

John
John--are you speaking from personal experience, or just posting what you "think" you know? I have used oilite sintered bronze bushings in con rods on engines that I have built. I do have personal experience with them. They work fine. I wouldn't want to run the engines at 18000 rpm with sintered bushings, but for low speed engines they work very well, and their ability to retain oil seems to give them an advantage over solid bushings.---Brian

Brian,

No experience using them like you are doing, just many years experience of using many types of bearings and materials for bearings, including Oilite in a vast array of circumstances. In other words, the right ones for the job.

They are not designed to be used with shock loads because of their build structure, they are very fragile when used in shock compression, which is the state you are using them in. Maybe you are just lucky.
I know this isn't definitive, but it does show that solid bronze is preferable to Oilite due to their relevant strengths

http://www.getyourbearings.co.uk/oilitephosphorbronze.html

Take note of the shock loads and maximum load.

If it was me in that situation I would use something like these polymer bearings or their steel or bronze counterpart. In fact, I would most probably make my own out of something like ali bronze.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-plain-bearings/6671434/

One of these bagged sets would last a lifetime in the smaller sizes.

John

Last edited:
Hi All,
Made a start on the con rods.

John,
Like Brian, I have had no problems with the Oilite bearings in the big end, as long as they are not machined. They fall apart if you machine the ends(brake The seal so to speak) if they are too long. I order to size. With the con rods for the twin, I have will have to make them out of some bronze that I have as my supplier can not supply the width of bearing that I need.

Barnbikes, Jon, the fly wheel does not need to be twice as big, could use the same as for the single, could even use a lighter one. How do you calculate is a lot of maths that I don't have handy.

Cheers
Andrew

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

Really aced Andrew on your design of offset (to block) cylinders and overhang crankshaft. I have a couple engines using that concept I'm happy with. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing this run. Everything I have read about twin cylinder engines indicates that if the cylinders are not diametrically opposed, or side by side, that the engine will "lope" because of the angled configuration. I don't know if this is a concern for model engines or not. I have seen videos of the Hoglet engine that seemed to work alright. I have no doubt that it will run. It is an interesting adaptation of the original design.---Brian

I'm interested in seeing this run. Everything I have read about twin cylinder engines indicates that if the cylinders are not diametrically opposed, or side by side, that the engine will "lope" because of the angled configuration. I don't know if this is a concern for model engines or not. I have seen videos of the Hoglet engine that seemed to work alright. I have no doubt that it will run. It is an interesting adaptation of the original design.---Brian
Thank Brian, I am looking forward to running it as well.
Got the magnets today. Fitted the twin pickups, and then set the timing(5 deg BTDC) very easy with the ign test module.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N023IU-GztA[/ame]
Got a reply on a price of 6" dia brass today, will be in next week I hope, will make a very nice flywheel.

Cheers
Andrew

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

Back