getting my first lathe!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your points about the smaller tooling, but I do already have a set of 1/2" carbide insert tools.

That's another thing, why does it seem like no one likes the carbide inserts on these smaller lathes?
I've seen mention of finish and some other things, but I'm getting pretty good surface finish that could easily be improved with patience

Matt

I use brazed carbide and carbide inserts and have gotten good (not my perception, but one offered by a true expert machinist) finishes.

For ferrous metals I use 1018, 303 SS, 1144 alloy, 12L14, and cast iron. I also tend to use one of the 3 slowest feed rates and a spindle rpm of 185, directly in contrast to a lot of information in print that says use carbide at very high speeds and feed rates.

I think sharp tools, cutting oil and patience are factors that are key in getting good finishes.

Cheers,
Phil

sorry defreels, this is very much the wrong thread to post this in, especially as i dont know much about steam engines.

try the showing them and the work in progress section, lots of builds in there

Matt

edit: seeing as this is your first post, i should welcome you to the forums, you should introduce yourself in the welcome forum.
this is a great place on the internet, with very helpful people

Matt I think all of us have used or tried carbide with varying results.

The lathe you have should be fine with carbide.
do be careful carbide does not like interrupter cuts or shock . Do not get it hot then throw coolant on it.

Other than that carbide likes speed . To cut at carbide speeds you need power . And since you have a full horsepower of power you should be fine.
I discourage carbide on fractional horsepower tiny machines.
Tin

Reactions: gus
good tips, tin, i appreciate the input.
ill have to acquire some hss for some interrupted stuff in the future
all the more reason im happy i went with a larger lathe.

Matt

Hi Matt,

We share your joy of buying a new Lathe and we would love to see pics of your lathe and your very first cut and job piece.

Gus from faraway Singapore.

Gus,

thank you for your interest, its always a joy to talk about your new toys :)

heres my first mess of chips that need cleaning
2013-12-09204717.jpg

and heres my first parts made, they are feet on my bench levelers

2013-12-09204815.jpg

they arent done with any real precision, just for fun really. i need to modify my compound rest at school, which explains the current state of disassembly.

thanks again for sharing in this new purchase guys, ive gotten some great info and ideas from you guys.

Matt

Actually, its a belt drive setup

And yes. Perfect size for my current needs and restrictions.

Matt

Alright, got the compound slide mount chucked up and indicated with .001" on the lathe at school, faced off .080", and now I have full use of my QCTP, woo

Next up... Possibly an attempt at threading

Matt

question for you guys, whats the best way to keep the carriage from moving while taking face cuts?
ive tightened the lock screw down a little, which seems to help, and all the way down for finish face cuts.
is this just a quirk of small lathes? or am a missing something?

thanks,

Matt

Matt,
Tightening the carriage lock should prevent it from moving. Put a dial indicator against the apron and see if you can move it. If you can see any DI movement, the lock isn't working. Might need cleaning.

Facing should give you a mirror finish on almost any metal if:
Your carriage is locked
Tool is sharp
Feed rate is slow (maybe a minute to face 1.5" stock)
Cutting oil is used
Depth of cut is a few thou

I have this lathe so I think these conditions will apply to your lathe as well.

I hope this helps

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for replying Phil
The lock works just fine, I just cut my teeth on the big lathes at school and they don't budge when taking a face cut.

Have you found that the right vs the left lock works better for you?

I'm considering making one of them a lever lock so I don't have to keep pulling the Allen key out.

Matt

Matt,
I took some hex stock, made a bolt with an elongated head so the wrench won't slip off and this locks my carriage. The wrench stays on there all the time

on the left side, the socket head cap screw you see just to the right of the way wiper is not a locking bolt. It holds what Grizzly calls a slide block (P/N 917) that prevents the carriage from tipping

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back