getting my first lathe!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattkguns

Reaction score
just got into some money, and i am now buying a lathe!

im getting a grizzly 10x22 g0602, im pretty excited about it.

im getting the http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3527 tool package.

the live center http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3702

ive already got some other tools, so i think i should be set. but im open to suggestions.

im planning to tear it down to the headstock/ bed, using kerosene to clean

for relubing im thinking of mobil 1 red grease, some mobil 1 synthetic, and spray lanolin.

that last part is my question to you guys, do you see anything wrong with coating the bed/ ways with lanolin?

Matt

I think you'll like the Grizzly 10 x 22 lathe. I've had mine for over 6 years and am quite pleased with it. I did add a QCTP and altered the drive over the years but the stock machine doesn't need much help.

The tooling packages you picked should get you started in a big way.

For the bed ways I've used Mobil Vectra #2 Way Oil, all the oil ports get #10 Non Detergent Oil.

Enjoy your new lathe

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
I second what phil said
Way oil and spindle Oil

Way Oil

6000215-23.jpg

Spindle oil

6000213-23.jpg

I have a gallon container of each under my lathe.

All of the oil companies have quality way and spindle oils and there are various grades for different size machines.

There has been lots of talk about lanolin as a PREVERVATIVE . If you live in place that has winter the lathe is in an unheated shed and you have humidity then you may need lanolin .
But I will tell you I worked for a year in a shop that has a cnc lathe with flood coolant the mix was always by eye no refractometer. As long as the lathe was wiped down at the end of the shift and the ways and exposed parts were oiled with way oil there was no rust the next time we came in even after a few days off. We used shell oils by the five gallon bucket.
I have never seen Shell products by the gallon and a gallon of each will last the HSM years.

There are some excellent synthetic machine oils but like I said use way oil on the ways and spindle oils on the spindles.

Tin

Enco follow the link click on the words "way oil" above the gallon jug of vactra.
Tin

Got my go602 back in July when I had a 10% off deal from grizz> Wasn't planning to buy that soon but the discount was hard to ignore. Finally got it mounted and broken in. Haven't taken a cut yet as winter has set in. Looks to be a quality piece.

Enco is a source of the way oil but spindle oil is a different case. Last time I needed some they only sold 5 gal. tubs. I ended up buying ISO-46 hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply locally.

well phil it is listed on there site I have purchased it from them and i gave a link for it . the cyber monday promo code for 20% off is CYBER and the free shipping code is MONDAY.
So no better time to order than now until 11pm eastern 12-2-13

Depending on your machine ISO 48 is a bit heavy for a spindle ISO 22 would be the equivalent to velocolite 10
Tin

Thanks for the responses guys, I see I need to reevaluate my oil decisions.

While I'm here, does anybody know where to find a current grizzly coupon?

There's a 5% off coupon on the back of their big catalog. Expires 12/31/13. If you don't have a catalog they'll be glad to send you one.

here she is

2013-12-07005913.jpg

some cleaning left to do

and probably going to center it on the work bench... eventually...

as of now, its bolted in place there, and the bench is quite solid. i didnt really think through the placement of my bolt studs, other than their distance from each other.

Anyway, quick question, i got the 100 size qctp from LMS, but the center "spindle" it comes with doesnt attach to the supplied cross slide "nut"
before i go and start making parts or modifying what came with it, does anyone have a solution thats tried and true?

Matt

Anyway, quick question, i got the 100 size qctp from LMS, but the center "spindle" it comes with doesn't attach to the supplied cross slide "nut"
before i go and start making parts or modifying what came with it, does anyone have a solution that's tried and true?

Standard practice is Machine the blank supplied by LMS to fit the t -nut slot on the compound. This is standard industry practice. as there are variations in t nut sizes on lathes. .
IIRC you have no mill to machine the t- nut so the next question is can you chuck up the t nut that came with the lathe drill it to size and tap it to fit the stud on the lms qctp.
Tin

Ill probably do that, Tin

Get some practice in with the 4 jaw.

gotta figure out how to mount one of the tool posts though, seeing as i dont have the mount...

Matt

If you are only holding a drill bit and a tap you hold these in the tail stock.
Hence my suggestion of plan b

Tin

Looks good Matt. Mine hasn't been that clean in 6 years.

You'll like the QCTP but in the meantime you can always use the 4 position holder that's supplied.

Cheers,
Phil

cut some metal and polished a sliding valve for an air motor i built in school a couple years ago. loving what ive seen so far

Tin- good point, realized what you meant when i went out to the garage. need to get a 9/16-18 tap when i get out next.

Matt

and...
we have QCTP!
2013-12-08205845.jpg

that sits about 10 thou high... :wall: i thought by ordering the 100 series i would avoid this... oh well.

ill just have to take the compound rest plate to school and face it down .100 or so. unfortunately, the campus is closed because of "inclement weather." damned texas ice.
ah well, made a couple feet for my bench levelers/ outriggers, turned out real nice. cant wait to start threading and parting, though doing those above center is a no no.

also, broke my 4 jaw wrench when i was trying to get it off :wall:
anyone know of better than original replacements? it seemed cheesy/ cast.

last thought/ niggle, the 4 jaw looks like it has around .05 runout, which isnt a big deal, i suppose, considering the way it works, but still, wish it wasnt. oh well

overall very happy with it!

Matt

Use 3/8 tool bits and you will have your 1/8 of breathing room . Sympathy right.?

Tin

I use 3/8" and 5/16" toolbits with the 100 series QCTP exclusively on this lathe. As Tin mentioned, you'll be good to go.

The use of 1/2" or larger toolbits on the smaller hobby lathes has been debated elsewhere. It's easier to grind smaller HSS tools, 1/2" tools cost more and don't provide significant advantages over smaller ones on lathes of this size.

Grizzly sells replacement 4 jaw wrenches, P/N P0602055-2.

Cheers,
Phil

Back