Gerry's Beam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjr2001

Reaction score
Standard Gerry's Beam Engine.
CNC cut flywheel, frames, links, crank.
The rest of it was done on the mini mill and mini lathe.
Not fully run in at this time but I did run it enough that I know it works.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kjK9us5gtU[/ame]

Cheers, JR

WalkingBeamEngine.jpg

Parts.jpg

A great looking job! I wonder how many of these have been made around the world, it is certainly a good machine to build. Here is a pic of mine made about two years ago, I brought a small geared 12 volt motor and run it off a 500mA wall charger. Cheers, Peter

20170719_151148[1].jpg

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. It was a great learning experience and I finally have my model engine. I have always wanted a model steam engine since about the late '50s after seeing them in Popular Mechanics.

That is a great idea, running the model engines on a small dc motor. I will build my base large enough to add a motor to it. Currently running on compressed air.

I built the inch version but used the metric plans for viewing some of the details. The pdf I found online has excellent renderings of the engine. It has some engineering changes from the original but helped me visualize some of the machining details.

Here is a link: http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/telechargements4/balancier-gerry-dykstra-09-05-02.pdf

Cheers, JR

This engine looks great.
I wish to build it in the inch version, but can only find metric drawings.

I have AutoCad LT.
Do you have a copy of the DWG file in the in style/
Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike, I drew this up earlier this year, I can give you a ACAD file, PM me your Email & what version of LT you are using.
These were created from Gerrys/"old boat guys" plans.

John

Attachments

• engine-assy.pdf
    636.5 KB · Views: 384

Latest posts

Back