Gear thingie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
Following up on my contribution to the"Gear cutters" thread over in Questions and Answers, here is most of my gizmo to employ my first gears:

gears%20017.jpg

Yet to be done are a couple of screws through that hub on the left-most gear into the gear,plus a handle on the shaft extending back behind same. The operator will grasp the handle and spin the entire thing around, grinning like an idiot. The gears will spin, no actual useful work will be done. I'm thinking it will sit next to the finger engine. :)

That is COOL!!!! Thm:

Reminds me a lot of those things you wave around your head and make a noise with!
Except yours will whir away quietly while you cackle like the mad scientist!! :big:

Totally useless but totally cool!!!! ;D

Andrew

Very nice!
Now it needs to have holes bored in the gears to lighten them, then how about a power feed so you don't have to spin it by hand.
Possibly some additional gear ratios?

It's kinda fun to play with

Yeah, looks like a nice desk toy. And the earlier poster was right - all you need now is a piece of flat spring steel and a way to rig it to ratchet on the outside gear, and you'd have a heck of a noisemaker.

Congrats on a nice looking job.

Hi dg

Nicely done.

I'm curious, Why does a machine without purpose need timing marks?

There must be a cunning plan in there somewhere!

Bez

Mosey said:
Very nice!
Now it needs to have holes bored in the gears to lighten them, then how about a power feed so you don't have to spin it by hand.
Possibly some additional gear ratios?

;D If he does that it will look a bit like my gear thingy!

Now for a catchy name, like...."Oramatic" and you could market it on TV, make a fortune.

It's really terrific. Make another. I like it.

I've already added "Gear Thingy" to my great undone projects list. I wonder how I could include a tumbler reverse tripped by one of the gears so that constant direction input would reverse output every so often ..... ..... ??? Either that or one of those 2-speed gear trains that I have seen on old pumpjacks ????

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back