Gear on elipse

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mate88

Reaction score
Hello all - I just joined up!
I have a bit of a problem - I need to cut gear teeth onto the o.d. of a .875" eliptical blank appx. 9" x 5.5" major/minor axes. Why? - it's part of a new design i.c engine I am developing. Any ideas?
I am located in Temperance, Michigan.
Shop is being rebuilt after fire last Feb, almost done. Have replaced all equipment - JET 1340 lathe and looking at Jet Mill, Craftsman drill press and all usual other odds and sods.

Gearotic is great, the direct website is www.gearotic.com

I made a pair of wood elliptic gears almost exactly the size you mentioned. I mounted them on a board and have them on the table at NEMES and Cabin Fever. Kids will stand and crank them all day.

Sorry to hear of the shop fire, that is one of my biggest fears. I live about 5 miles from the fire department, with only the ocean for water. Keeps me careful about fire safety.

Thanks Ron 'n Kvom - Thanks for the pointer - I looked and they seem to be Gear-gods! I had to sit down after reading their info!
I am exploring the non-gear option for my project - may save some time for the p'type.
M8
(Mate)

Latest posts

Back