Gear info needed for Chuck's Hit Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
HI all . Its A lousy day outside giving me a chance to start planning another project.
I have lots of engines I would like to build, but after watching the fascinating video's posted I would like to give CFellows "Single" engine my best shot.

The question is could the gears in the link be used? Other sources up to now are a bit outside of my budget for this build.

Anyone find any low cost alternatives?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=1035&PMITEM=327-8281

-MB

RobWilson said:
Hi could you not have a go and make your own
Rob

Probably not. I started to look at the cost of gear cutters and noticed I would need more than one. This plus the fact is I'm clue less about how this is done tells me to just find a suitable source.

Good suggestion though.

-MB

Hi Metal Butcher;

Have a look a www.mcmaster.com , thy have Spur Gears.
24 pitch- 24 teeth is $17.90 and 48 teeth is $26.95. I don’t know if you would want to go any smaller then 24 pitch. Thy do have 32 pitch. I believe you will need a 2:1.

You could make them your self you would need a mill, rotary table with an indexing head and a involve gear cutter for each gear or a Hob.

If you know someone that has an old B&S engine that has quit running maybe you could get the gears out it and rework them. That’s what I used for my first engine, a Webster.

Richard

tup48 said:
Hi Metal Butcher;

Have a look a www.mcmaster.com , thy have Spur Gears.
24 pitch- 24 teeth is $17.90 and 48 teeth is $26.95. I don’t know if you would want to go any smaller then 24 pitch. Thy do have 32 pitch. I believe you will need a 2:1.

You could make them your self you would need a mill, rotary table with an indexing head and a involve gear cutter for each gear or a Hob.

If you know someone that has an old B&S engine that has quit running maybe you could get the gears out it and rework them. That’s what I used for my first engine, a Webster.

Richard

A Google search led me there earlier in the day. I gave up trying to find where they are. There's hundreds of places to look on their site using that link.

But I do appreciate your effort.

-MB

deere_x475guy said:
MB I just took a quick look at the plans to see if I had the cutters to make you a set. From a quick glance I think I might be able to help you out. I cut my gears for the Webster I am building and it looks like the same gears will work. 13 and 26 tooth.

Here is my thread on the gears.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1360.0

I,m pretty sure the ratio is supposed to be 2 to 1. The only other specs that I'm guessing at is both gears need a good sized hub. On the larger gear it used as a cam, and on the smaller one its used for a set screw. I,m also guessing that the tooth width is 3/16" plus another 3/16" for the hub.

Whats the diameter of the gears you made for the "Webster"?

-MB

aermotor8 said:

Thanks for the link to "Small Parts".

The ones bellow are a possibility!

GBS-3236-01 brass 32P 20 degree 36 tooth .250 bore

GBS-3218-01 BRASS 32p 20 degree 18 tooth .188 bore (needs drilling and reaming to .250)

These look like they might work.

Maybe some one with more experience can verify this.

-MB

Hobby shops that cater to the parking-lot RC racer crowd will have a wall section full of various small gears in a few different DP's for pretty cheap ($4-5 ea mostly). They're what I used for my Slightly Loco-- the biggest in that particular series was about 1" in dia, but there are other series. It would be easy to get a 2:1 setup.

I bought mine from a store, but http://www.robinsonracing.com/ is the manufacturer-- they have some info on their web site.

shred said:
Hobby shops that cater to the parking-lot RC racer crowd will have a wall section full of various small gears in a few different DP's for pretty cheap ($2+/gear). They're what I used for my Slightly Loco-- the biggest in that particular series was about 1" in dia, but there are other series.

Thanks Shred, I'll check that out.

I did look online at slot car gears but their bores and widths are to small.

The help and support from the members of this forum is incredible! :bow:

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
I,m pretty sure the ratio is supposed to be 2 to 1. The only other specs that I'm guessing at is both gears need a good sized hub. On the larger gear it used as a cam, and on the smaller one its used for a set screw. I,m also guessing that the tooth width is 3/16" plus another 3/16" for the hub.

Whats the diameter of the gears you made for the "Webster"?

-MB

Well they started out as a .750 blank and a 1.4 blank. Your looking at just a little under 2.047 for total distance between the outer edges of the teeth when they are meshed up. The distance between the holes would be .975.

deere_x475guy said:
Well they started out as a .750 blank and a 1.4 blank. Your looking at just a little under 2.047 for total distance between the outer edges of the teeth when they are meshed up. The distance between the holes would be .975.

Thanks Bob. Those sound like there way too big for Chuck's single.

I just took a look at the near- scale download I printed up and the large one looks to be under 1 inch in diameter.

It looks like the ones I picked from small parts might also be too big. The 36 tooth is 1.125 pitch diameter and the small one is .562 inch.

any thoughts on those figures?

-MB

Ok those are the smallest I can get you with my cutters and keep the 1-2 ratio mine are 20P, I need to add some finer pitch ones when I get the cash for it. Do you have a way to divide the teeth? Others have had success grinding their own single point cutters.

deere_x475guy said:
Ok those are the smallest I can get you with my cutters and keep the 1-2 ratio mine are 20P, I need to add some finer pitch ones when I get the cash for it. Do you have a way to divide the teeth? Others have had success grinding their own single point cutters.

I have a spin index fixture that takes 5C collets if that's what your referring to...

do you think the 32P I looked at from Small Parts too big?

32P 20 degree 18T .562 pitch dia.
32P 20 degree 36T 1.125 pitch dia.

Or do you think I could use them?

MB,

I was going to suggest looking at other machines or perhaps older printers. Below is a set of gears out of a 4 cycle lawnmower. But after reading further into the thread I see you need smaller dia. gears than what I show in the picture.

These came out of a 4 cycle engine. The larger gear is part of the shaft the cams are on that open and close the intake and exhust valves. They won't be of no use to you but if somebody is building a larger scale engine there is a source of gears in the 4 cycle engines used for lawnmowers and other such equipment. This set happens to be 1.5" dia. for the small gear and almost 3" for the large gear.

gear4.jpg

Hope this has stimulated some thought as to were to get gears for no cost. These gears were rescued from a small engine that didn't run any more.

Bernd

MB,
I used 20 and 40 tooth with 48 DP on mine. I cut the stock for the 20 tooth gear and found some 40 tooth gears in the junk box. If you can use them, I still have an inch or so of the 20 tooth stock and an extra 40 tooth gear and can send them to you.
Gail in NM,USA

GailInNM said:
MB,
I used 20 and 40 tooth with 48 DP on mine. I cut the stock for the 20 tooth gear and found some 40 tooth gears in the junk box. If you can use them, I still have an inch or so of the 20 tooth stock and an extra 40 tooth gear and can send them to you.
Gail in NM,USA
Thank you for your offer, and Yes I would like to have those! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'll send you a PM.

-MB

Latest posts

Back