Gear indexing problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klegenheim

Reaction score
Hoping that everybody out there had a Happy Christmas!

I am thinking about building a skeleton clock and at this point have not got much further than just that! The reason is that I will have to cut a main wheel of 290 divisions. The plans call for a 60:1 dividing head which with a 29 hole plate and indexing every 6 holes would achieve this. The problem is that I only have a 72:1 worm gear. Clearly I would like to avoid the cost of buying or time in making a 60:1 worm gear etc etc.

Are there any ideas out there as to how this could be solved with my present equipment?

The problem is that while 290 and 60 are both divisible by 10, allowing the use of a 29-hole plate, the highest common factor of 290 & 72 is 2, meaning you would need a 145-hole plate, which unfortunately does not get you much further forward. If you have a lathe with change wheels it might be possible to set up a train that would give 145 divisions. Altenatively, have you a means of compound indexing, in which there is a second stage to incrementally rotate the division plate?

Reactions: gus
Are there any ideas out there as to how this could be solved with my present equipment?

Where are you located? There might be a hobbyist close to you that can help.
For example, I have an Arduino based setup for my RT that could generate the 290 hole plate, or any other required.

Chuck

If you imagine a plate with 1/8" diameter holes separated by 1/8", then the circumference of a 145 hole plate would be approximately 36" or 11.5" in diameter. Likely much too big for any dividing head.

Might it be possible to make a disk with 5 separate rows of 29 holes, each offset appropriately?

Thanks for the link Gordon, certainly a simple method to overcome the diameter of indexing wheel problem.

Emgee

You could try hooking up a stepper and electronically indexing the drive shaft.

Gear drive the input shaft so that the actual 72 tooth indexing wheel is made to work like a 60 tooth wheel . You can then use 29 hole plate and simple indexing .

Required ratio is 72/60 so 36/30 may be easiest practical combination .

Latest posts

Back