Furniture Refinishing?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
My wife doesn't really understand a lot about my toys.
Why should she need to? One of her hobbies is restoring and
refinishing old furniture. About a year ago we picked up a
china cabinet that is at least 70 years old.
No major collectors value to it, but it was a nice looking piece
if you could imagine it through 18 layers of paint.

In those days most paint was lead base, so stripping it was done
mostly chemically.

Now it's down to the fine work.
She was on the back porch today scraping and hand sanding when I
asked her what a burr gun might do to it.

Her reply, "What's a burr gun?" LOL Fair enough question!

After a 5 minute lesson on the do's and dont's she gave it a try.

BurrGun.jpg

OK, I can undercut a critical corner radius on a steel piece with a burr gun.
Here this lady is removing paint from 70 year old oak without marking the surface. ???

Maybe I'M the one that needs lessons!

Rick

Rick: Don't give my wife any new ideas, I have enough trouble finding a free horizontal surface to put something down on let alone work on my own projects. Yes I have helped do some cleaning up and repairing of antique/vintage furniture with and for the wife but I guess I have not shown her all of my adaptable tooling to do the work herself.
don

Rick,

I keep going on and making fun of my better half, but in all honesty, without her support and help I just couldn't have got any of my workshop built.

Without complaint she will tackle anything I ask of her, and she does a better job than me most times.

A good example was this afternoon and evening. After a heavy day I crashed out on the sofa at about 6.30.

She woke me up at 10 to tell me she was going to bed. So I duly went outside to lock everything up.

Found out she had put the heavyweight cover on the bike, put all my power tools away, fully swept up all the mess I had made today, not just in the garden, but in the shop as well, and locked it all up.

We just don't realise how much these women of iron can really do, and we moan when they ask us to do something for them.

We really are a bunch of ungrateful wretches.

John

Bogstandard said:
We just don't realise how much these women of iron can really do

I have to agree, and as it's my 34th Wedding Anniversary today :eek: I have some experience.

Rick, Bogs ......... I think, like you I count myself very lucky that the "other half" not only puts up with me but "Is always there" :bow:

Rick ......... love the picture, a few months back Elaine said to me, I've never used a drill ............. so .............. bit of basic instruction etc, ...... now the kitchen wall is similar to a pepper pot, holes waiting for me to fix thing's to them ......... plus ...... she would like a "Pink" drill for her Birthday ???

Yes we love em' but sometimes it's "less than easy" ;)

CC

Latest posts

Back