Fixing up the milling vise

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I removed the fixed jaw from my Bridgeport vise and took it to school. The goal was to use a surface grinder to true it up. I had never used a SG before and got a good introduction to the process.

The school has four grinders, but as always a newbie has to use the small Harig manual one without coolant. Once started it took me about an hour to do both sides. The back face was pretty flat (obviously no use) and it sufficed to take 3 tenths. The front had some dings and as well was low in the center, where most things get clamped. It took 9 tenths in two passes to get a good surface.

Afterwards I used a micrometer to check the four corners and all read the same to a tenth.

I didn't take the moveable jaw as my 5/16" allen wrench wasn't long enough, but I will do that on Tursday. I'm also going to take the vise itself, and should be able to grind the base area between the jaws, using the bigger grinder. I'll also replace the jaws in thge vise and grind out the small dings on the tops of the jaws.

Should be good as new.

Wanna do mine when your done? ;D

Mine has more than it's share of drill divots in the throat, and the top of the movable jaw looks like it was used as an anvil. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape.

A friend has offered the use of his SG at work. I may yet take him up on the offer.

Show some pics when it's done.

Latest posts

Back