First Post

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm a definitely a newbie at this. I have an Atlas mini-mill purchased from a friend years ago as I knew even back there I wanted to learn how to make stuff. Procured a Grizzly 9X19 lathe in 2002 and have had lots of fun turning metal into chips without making anything in particular. I found this site a few weeks ago and started working on the E Z engine last weekend. I've already managed to break a tap in a part. I found the discussions on use of Alum and plan to try find some this week. With three kids in college, I don't get much free time from work to play with my toys. I know I will learn alot from this site. The one tool I have discovered that I need the most is patience.

Larry

Welcome Larry. Please take some pictures as you go along and share them with the group...we love pictures!!

Bill

Welcome. wEc1

If you have problems or questions post them here to get some help. Aluminum can be a pain to tap. Some of it is real gummy and hard to work with. You can drill the hole to a 50% thread rather than 75% and I have found that pulling the tap out and brushing off all the chips every time it starts to feel like it is binding can prevent problems. Reverse the tap every 1/4 to 1/2 turn to break the chips and use plenty of cutting lube.

Post some pictures and let us see what you are doing.

I will try to conquer my lack of digital knowledge and try to post some pictures as I go. My daughter gave me a digital camera but I still prefer the Canon 35mm virtually all manual camera I got 30+ years ago. My biggest problem is I only get a few hours every week or so to work on my projects.

I've tapped lots of steel over the years, but this was my first attempt in aluminum and with a small tap like 4-40. The tap handle I was using was too big for the little 4-40 tap and I probably applied too much torque. Like I said before, the tool I need the most is patience.

Larry

Welcome to the forum Larry.
Don't worry about how long it takes...
They say getting there is half the fun...for me...it's most of the fun.

Larry,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to HMEM Larry.

Rick

Welcome, Larry. As a fellow neophyte, I can assure you these people will graciously answer any and all of your questions. It makes no difference how you categorize the question. (stupid/obvious/not worth their time/silly) So jump in any time....and have a good time.

Ed

Latest posts

Back